• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for solid navy suiting

malat

Reaction score
I am considering having a staple navy suit made up and would like recommendations for fine navy cloth. I think the Lanifio Drago fabric on the No Man Walks Alone Formosa birdseye suit is perfect. But for quirks in my sizing, I would own that one. Since I'm planning to go custom, I thought I'd see if there are other favorites for navy cloth on the forum. My only requirement is that this is intended to be a workhorse 3 season (west coast) navy suit, so ~11 oz is probably my target. I could also see myself wearing this suit for business as well as cocktail parties in the evening. I have been through the search function on the site and gathered a few other data points. All input is welcome.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may get more eyes on this in the "Unfunded Liabilities" thread, which is sort of the go-to cloth thread.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any details on the cloth?

My suit is over 20 years old and it is MTM from Chipp (Winston Tailors) in New York.
The fabric is heavier that most contemporary high-end Italain suitings. You might check out Winston Tailors, although I've heard they'll be closing in six months or so due to Paul Winston's upcoming retirement. Too bad. They are one of the classic Bespoke and MTM operations in New York that produce Ivy/Trad derived clothing but with a distinctive style. Their price point is very attractive.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/27/a-tailor-who-caters-to-a-certain-taste/

Contact Information
28 West 44th Street New York, NY 10036‎
(212) 687-0850

Last edited:

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All decent suiting books will contain this pattern. For workhorse value for money, check out Dugdale royal classics or Lesser 11 oz.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a navy work-horse suit I prefer a lightweight, solid, fine twill for year-round. Loro Piana makes a very nice one. The fine twill, to me, is more of a modern, all purpose look. I would go with the birdsye for a 2nd or third navy suit.

Macallan

Reaction score

For workhorse value for money, check out Dugdale royal classics or Lesser 11 oz.

As above.
If your budget allows, go for Lesser 11oz cloth - I have two suits from this book for all-year-round-wear

malat

Reaction score
Thanks all! Really helpful. I will poke through the Lesser books at the tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads