Recommendations for shirt & tie for suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by limousine, Jun 2, 2006.

1. limousine

limousine Well-Known Member

Ahoy Style Forumers, I'm new here and I need some help concerning a shirt & tie combination for a suit. I a
    Any help concerning shirt & tie colours, patterns and combinations which would compliment the suit would be much appreciated.
    The suit is pictured below, TIA
    [​IMG]

2. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I think there's a few too many stripes going on. Personally I'd go with a white shirt with that same spread of collar and french cuffs, but knot that tie in a four-in-hand (which would look better). What brand are all those items?

EDIT: Almost forgot, never forget to put a dimple in the tie! It'll make it look much better put together. And snug the knot up to your collar more.

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Colour wise you're on the right track in bringing out the blue stripes of the suit, but the stripes are all of similar dimension which makes for an incredibly dizzying effect. The shirt, suit, and tie mash into each other instead of staying distinct but complementary.

4. limousine

Yes, all of those strips are overkill but it was just what I was wearing at the moment before I put on the suit.
    The only thing I am semi-certain of is that between the shirt and tie, there will be some blue to bring out the light blue stripes on the suit as whoopee said.
    Keep throwing me ideas, I need all the help I can get

Jovan: the suit is by SABA and the shirt and tie are by Satch, both brands are Australian based.

5. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Jovan: the suit is by SABA and the shirt and tie are by Satch, both brands are Australian based.

Limo,

I like the fabric of the suit and the lapels are quite stylish, but that keyhole buttonhole is all bad.

For your AUD, you can get much better brands than those two (Saba does good casual, actually...). I recommend especially Pierucci and Herringbone to a lesser extent.

Where are you living in Australia? If you can get Z Zegna suits on sale, they cost no more than locally made stuff (about $900), and put them to shame. Pierucci suiting in the more conservative fabrics is also very very nice. They use the same mills as Prada, I gather, and have their suits constructed in NZ, with proper horsehair chestpieces.

If you're in Brisbane or Melbourne, PM me and I'll buy you a drink some time...

Cheers,

Eden

6. limousine

Hey mate, I'm from Melbourne. As much as I adore the suit, I realised after the purchase that it wasn't the best and I could of bought something better but it's my first suit purchase so I was bound to make some uninformed mistakes.

7. dare-

dare- Senior member

It's alright. But I think you need some more stripes.

8. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Like Spider-Man, I'm losing my powers. I didn't even notice that.

9. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Yes, all of those strips are overkill
    Not really overkill, just the wrong sizes. I happen to like wearing all three with stripes. Go with narrower stripes in the shirt and you'll be well on your way. You could go with wider stripes in the tie also, but it's not as important.

Tom

10. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

A hairline stripe shirt and a large blocky regimental could work, though I think a solid or a larger scale neat would be a better choice.

11. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

In my opinion...the suit looks very nice and the colors you are using are working well too.

You just have to lose the stripes on either the shirt or tie.

Solid shirt (pretty much any color) with a non-striped tie would work very well too...no reason to stick to blue shirts and blue ties because your suit fits with almost anything.

12. limousine

It's alright. But I think you need some more stripes.
    more?

A hairline stripe shirt and a large blocky regimental could work, though I think a solid or a larger scale neat would be a better choice.

Not really overkill, just the wrong sizes. I happen to like wearing all three with stripes. Go with narrower stripes in the shirt and you'll be well on your way. You could go with wider stripes in the tie also, but it's not as important.

Tom

I like your suggestions, thanks

13. limousine

In my opinion...the suit looks very nice and the colors you are using are working well too. You just have to lose the stripes on either the shirt or tie. Solid shirt (pretty much any color) with a non-striped tie would work very well too...no reason to stick to blue shirts and blue ties because your suit fits with almost anything.
    I havn't completely ruled out a solid coloured shirt, but at the moment I would like to get a shirt with some sort of pattern (doesn't have to be stripes). If anyone has some pictures of some good combinations that would go well with my suit, please post them.

14. Mute

Mute Senior member

I havn't completely ruled out a solid coloured shirt, but at the moment I would like to get a shirt with some sort of pattern (doesn't have to be stripes).
    If anyone has some pictures of some good combinations that would go well with my suit, please post them.

In that case, perhaps a check or windowpane shirt. Then, you could stick with the same tie or try a solid or even a pin dot tie. Perhpas something in crimson or orange.

15. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Too blue-ish. Throw in some red ..