• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for Reykjavík

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be in ReykjavÃk for two weeks in mid-August: half business, half holiday. Anyone have any good recommendations on restaurants, sights and activities?

I already have a travel book and am doing research online, but if anyone has any good local knowledge or personal experience, I'd love to hear it.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
Sounds fascinating. Heard a lot about the food there:
http://www.hulver.com/scoop/story/2004/9/1/64125/52848

Heard alot about the girls there too
smile.gif

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Heard alot about the girls there too
smile.gif

Eating that food impresses those girls.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
Eating that food impresses those girls.

C'mon- herring's not bad. Not a good idea getting meat products from a convenience store though ( hell- I don't do that even here!)

dpw

Reaction score
bring a healthy liver, you will need it....they consume an alcoholic beverage now and then

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips so far everyone. I was planning to rent a car, where would you recommend going?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should watch the movie called Heima that features the band Sigur Ros on tour around Iceland.

totally epic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Thanks for the tips so far everyone. I was planning to rent a car, where would you recommend going?
My favorite little town in Iceland is Seyðisfjörður, but it's a bit of a drive from ReykjavÃk. The drive there is absolutely worth it though. If you don't plan on going that far, try to get to Höfn at least.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, a trip out to the countryside is definitely on my list. About how long would it take to drive to either of those by car?

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dpw
bring a healthy liver, you will need it....they consume an alcoholic beverage now and then

The price of those drinks might keep your consumption down.

iridium7777

Reaction score
do yourself a major favor and buy alcohol right at the airport before you leave it and get into town. buy a lot because it'll still be cheaper than paying 80$ for 1.75L bottle of vodka in the city.

half way between reykjavik and the airport is the blue lagoon, definitely worth a visit. i think it costs around 15-20$ to walk in there, but the time i went there i was so wasted and already had my swimming suit on that no one stoped me and i just walked in and crabbed a chair by the pool.

rent a car, get a map and just drive around. in no time you'll see a bunch of sheep grazing in endless fields and waterfall after waterfall. take a trip out west and see "the" geiser. it's probably a two hour ride each way, but as a bonus right around there are some major waterfalls with a constant rainbow around.

it's f'in bright there this time of the year, so you can go see the geiser and just drive around at 2am and be fine.with all the brightness it's also a ***** to fall asleep though.

another super annoying thing i remember were the gas stations, each one required some pin for your credit card, which i dunno what the hell it is since i don't have a pin for my cc in the states. so do yourself another favor and carry their stupid kroners around at least for gas.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been there, except for the airport, but I have a couple of friends who are enthusiasts...I also used to know quite a few Icelanders. Many Icelanders are super-trendy, to the point of caricature, and at the same time, their most important industry, by far, is the very traditional fishing, and then sheep-farming, I think. It's like a "rough fishing village gone hipster" according to my friends. It makes for nice bars and shopping, thuogh - there are a lot of local designers in the streetwear/fashion foreward vein that are supposed to be very good. They have one of the best literacy rates in the world - expect intellectual and "intellectual" conversations. The local culture and language is extremely well protected, typically, by law, they translate or invent "indigenous" words instead of importing phrases. The women are generally stunning - I can vouch for this - and liberated. Typically, being an unwed mother carried far less shame in Iceland than in most other Western countries, even going far back. This is supposed to be at least partly because of the nature of the fisheries - men disappear at sea, etc. Two friends of mine went there on what was essentially a trip for drinking and chasing women - and it all went a bit wrong: They'd timed their trip for just after the big start of the fishing season, where a lot of the men would be out at sea, and there would be a nice surplus of women around town. Backfire: There was a storm, and the bars were filled with pissed-off fishermen losing money by the minute...
bounce2.gif
Downside; prices are generally steep.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have been to Iceland a couple of times to party. The women are overrated (sad, but true - I had high expectations).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads