Recommendations for Puerto Rico?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by cretaceous_cretin, May 30, 2011.

1. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

Any recommendations for accommodations in Puerto Rico? Which hotels are the best? Should I stay in San Juan, or elsewhere on the island for a seaside visit?

2. Danmd340

Danmd340 Member

Old San Juan has the "El Convento," which is situated right in the middle of the colonial city, Condado has "La Concha" which is a very trendy/stylish beach-front hotel not far from Old San Juan, and Bahia Beach St. Regis is a golf and beach-oriented resort opened last October 40 minutes from the main airport. If you like surfing, there is Rincón at the west side of the island, I've visited The Hornet Dorset and it looks great. I've heard good things about the W Hotel in Vieques.

Places I'd personally avoid: El San Juan is not what it used to be in the past, and El Conquistador is overpriced and overrated although it does have an amazing location.

There is a little of everything, it all depends on your interests. Have fun!

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

4. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

We liked El Convento, but you need to take a cab to the beach. La Concha is like any other nice beach resort. On our next trip, we'll probably go to Vieques.

While you're there, definitely visit the rainforest. El Junque is amazingly beautiful.

5. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

pm whodini
    Putang ina mo, taba.

6. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Go to the corner store over by the airport
    There you will meet a proprietor, his name is Dando
    Dando will suck your pickle for five dollar, he do a good good job, like young girl
    He make it count

7. Mr Sola

Mr Sola Senior member

+1 for Rincon

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Putang ina mo, taba.

[​IMG] first three words should be one word though.

9. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I usually stay at the Hilton Caribe. pretty good location. I never get out of town, but I go down for business.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I stay at the Ritz Carlton in San Juan. Fantastic accommodations, excellent pool/beach/food, etc. We tend not to leave the compound frequently as we travel with a kid, and this is great for us.

12. danilo

danilo Senior member

Old San Juan has the "El Convento," which is situated right in the middle of the colonial city, Condado has "La Concha" which is a very trendy/stylish beach-front hotel not far from Old San Juan, and Bahia Beach St. Regis is a golf and beach-oriented resort opened last October 40 minutes from the main airport. If you like surfing, there is Rincón at the west side of the island, I've visited The Hornet Dorset and it looks great. I've heard good things about the W Hotel in Vieques.

Places I'd personally avoid: El San Juan is not what it used to be in the past, and El Conquistador is overpriced and overrated although it does have an amazing location.

There is a little of everything, it all depends on your interests. Have fun!

I'm from P.R. and when I visit (almost yearly) I stay with family. So I haven't stayed at many resorts/hotels. But this recommendation above is pretty much spot on.

If you're looking at staying in more of a time-share/apartment style spot, there's some spots in Isabela that are real nice with fair prices. Not much to do around there other than the beach. So really it all depends on what you're looking for.

13. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

Can we morph this into a things to do in PR thread too? Previous search gave vox's take and very little else. Any other recs on food or things to do in San Juan? I'm there for 5 days and am planning to do zipline/rain forest, flamenco beach and a couple other beaches, bio bay, snorkeling in Vieques - anything else not quite as well known?

Do a night kayak in one of the bioluminescent bays, either the one at Vieques or the Las Croabas Lagoon adjacent to Fajardo. The one at Vieques gets most of the coverage, but I think the lagoon is actually better as time passes because the structure of the bay is a bit more protective.

With that, hiking in the rain forest, and seeing the old city, you've got the highlights covered. Consider a zipline run through the canopy if you want to add something to the hike.

There are no good restaurants. If you want a semi-authentic experience, try La Parilla, which is one of the kioskos on the Balinareo, near the beach in Luquillo.

As for clothes: what?

- B

14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Can we morph this into a things to do in PR thread too? Previous search gave vox's take and very little else. Any other recs on food or things to do in San Juan? I'm there for 5 days and am planning to do zipline/rain forest, flamenco beach and a couple other beaches, bio bay, snorkeling in Vieques - anything else not quite as well known?

-Grab some lunch/dinner at Casita Blanca: 351 Calle Tapia in San Juan-787-726-5501.
    -Explore OSJ by just walking around the area.
    -Bacardi factory
    -Chica watching

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Biolumenescent bay kayak tour
    There was this great tapas spot in osj you should be ablr to find
    There is no shortage of stuff

Any ideas for a golf vacay?