• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for new trench coat

Reaction score
Hello friends! My first post on this place...

I'm interested in getting a new trench coat from upcoming AW editions. One that stuck out to me last year, which I was late on was Nigel Cabourn's Nam Coat. I reached out and they unfortunately won't be releasing new editions of that coat or anything similar in the upcoming AW launch. The No Man Walks Alone x Stoffa collab (https://dieworkwear.com/2022/07/19/good-natured-a-no-man-walks-alone-x-stoffa-collaboration/) also really caught my eye. Reached out to No Man Walks Alone who said all preorders are accounted for but I should keep my eye out for a small release at their store here in NYC.

Question: any other brands people really appreciate for this type of slightly elevated lighter winter jacket? Thinking trench coat or possibly pea coat silhouette. Thanks for weighing in!

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
Hello friends! My first post on this place...

I'm interested in getting a new trench coat from upcoming AW editions. One that stuck out to me last year, which I was late on was Nigel Cabourn's Nam Coat. I reached out and they unfortunately won't be releasing new editions of that coat or anything similar in the upcoming AW launch. The No Man Walks Alone x Stoffa collab (https://dieworkwear.com/2022/07/19/good-natured-a-no-man-walks-alone-x-stoffa-collaboration/) also really caught my eye. Reached out to No Man Walks Alone who said all preorders are accounted for but I should keep my eye out for a small release at their store here in NYC.

Question: any other brands people really appreciate for this type of slightly elevated lighter winter jacket? Thinking trench coat or possibly pea coat silhouette. Thanks for weighing in!

With all respect I don't think you want trench coat because neither one of those you mentioned is trench coat.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
@ladislav.jancik - fair enough! Thanks for calling that out. What would you call them then? And how do they differ?
Die workwear called them appropriately in his article yet: Balmacaan and Double-breasted Ulster overcoats.

Trench coat is completely different thing. These are its hallmarks:
trench coat hallmarks.jpg

Modern example is (without epaulettes):

Old Red

Reaction score
The NC Nam coat was made in nylon or tweed. Raincoat or overcoat? Maybe look at Private White.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ladislav.jancik - fair enough! Thanks for calling that out. What would you call them then? And how do they differ?
To be slightly editorial, I would call the the first coat awful.
Several of the others are OK. I also find it off-putting to put
"classical coats" on model types who, in reality, would be
very unlikely to wear such coats. Maybe that's an effort to sell
to another demographic?

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did someone say "trench coat"? There is only one: Burberry.

Panama

Reaction score
That is not a trench coat.

Anyway there are of course also another trench coats, not only Burberry as stated before, that statement is preposterous.
You know you are posting absolute rubbish and your definition of a trench is completely misguided?

Panama

Reaction score
I don't think so. I would be curious what's wrong with "my" definition of trench coat.
Q. What is the brand name of the first trench coat?

Having looked at the advertisements for the first ever trench it does not meet many of the requirements of the Gentleman's Gazette criteria...

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score

Having looked at the advertisements for the first ever trench it does not meet many of the requirements of the Gentleman's Gazette criteria...

I don't know the first ever advertised trench coat, but its design evolved since then for sure. The archetype of trench coat is as described in the picture above.

Examples are: Coherence Models ALII and Jansen or some models by Burberry, Aquascutum or Grenfell.

Schneiders Morten is not a trench coat.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway there are of course also another trench coats, not only Burberry as stated before, that statement is preposterous.
Burberry defines what a trench coat is. Everything else is a copy.
Burberry
I don't know the first ever advertised trench coat, but its design evolved since then for sure. The archetype of trench coat is as described in the picture above.

Examples are: Coherence Models ALII and Jansen or some models by Burberry, Aquascutum or Grenfell.

Obviously, I'm a fan of Burberry. I own three, including one I bought decades ago but which is now a vintage trench coat. My opinion is, if you want the real thing, buy the real thing, not a copy. As far as trench coats go, Burberry is the real thing, the quintessence. If you are okay with a copy, no problem, but a copy can never be the real thing.

Panama

Reaction score

Google trench adverts from the first world war...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads