• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for long weekend in the Caribbean? (with pregnant wife)

skidsm

Reaction score
OK, so my wife and I are expecting our first child. We've both been working a ton, and we're trying to squeeze in a five day trip before she is restricted from flying.

criteria are:

1. warm
2. easy to get to, easy to get to hotel once there
3. everything we need at the hotel (food, beach, etc.)
4. something to do in town/nearby if we feel like leaving the hotel.
5. nice beach

we've never been to the Caribbean, so we're shooting in the dark. I was thinking Bahamas or St. John, perhaps, but any other good recommendations?

thanks in advance.

Syl

Reaction score
Almost any all inclusive will have what you want. For health & safety reasons (i.e. if something comes up with your wife), I'd stick to the modern, english islands.
You'll also want something quite close (2-3hrs flight) and preferably a direct (if that's possible).

Barbados does have a very good hospital and is a smaller, english speaking island but might be a long flight.

See if the virgin islands or Antigua are options

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
remember to make sure that you have health insurace coverage for the trip.
honestly, I'd probrably stay with an American Island just for the health coverage issue - porto rico US virgins.

enjoy it - sex will dry up once the baby comes

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Leave the wife at home.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skidsm
OK, so my wife and I are expecting our first child. We've both been working a ton, and we're trying to squeeze in a five day trip before she is restricted from flying.

criteria are:

1. warm
2. easy to get to, easy to get to hotel once there
3. everything we need at the hotel (food, beach, etc.)

4. something to do in town/nearby if we feel like leaving the hotel.
5. nice beach

we've never been to the Caribbean, so we're shooting in the dark. I was thinking Bahamas or St. John, perhaps, but any other good recommendations?

thanks in advance.

This is something I always try to avoid actually. The farther away you go from the typical tourists the better. I'd recommend Belize(not in the Carib I know) it was a 12 hour trip with four different modes of transportation but it was the most amazing relaxing vacation ever. The second largest barrier reef was a 20 minute kayak trip off the shore. I was swimming with sharks in open water, simply amazing. Everything was untouched.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm headed to puerto rico at the end of the month (although in a big group of friends).

It definately fits your requirements of being a short flight and san juan has lots of spots to stay really close to the airport. In barbados, being "close" to the airport means a mid-length cross country drive with a crazy person at the wheel...

skidsm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
This is something I always try to avoid actually. The farther away you go from the typical tourists the better. I'd recommend Belize(not in the Carib I know) it was a 12 hour trip with four different modes of transportation but it was the most amazing relaxing vacation ever. The second largest barrier reef was a 20 minute kayak trip off the shore. I was swimming with sharks in open water, simply amazing. Everything was untouched.

we totally agree with this in general. we're looking for easy this time due to the pregnancy.

thanks everyone for the advice. much appreciated.

jagass

Reaction score
Wait...Just make sure there will never be a harm to your wife and the to the baby...Go to Philippines...
de594ef5c314372edec29b93cab9d72e.gif

taktikz

Reaction score
I recommend Dominican Republic which is at the heart of the caribbean

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads