• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for insole for my Chucks?

lsquare

Reaction score
I'm looking at Dr. Scholl's, but that company has a lot of different insoles. Which is the best value one to get? Also how do you get it to fit inside the shoe? My Chucks are size 8, but the insoles come in a one size claiming it'll fit from size 8-13. I don't think the insole will fit in the Chucks as is, but I guess I'll try when I buy it. Will it fit or I will need to cut it?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You cut it to size. Why don't you go to a drugstore and check out what they have? There's usually an assortment of 15-30 of them at any drugstore or ___-Mart type of place.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I get Spencos. I wear a pair of safety boots at work with Spenco inserts almost everyday for 2 years running and they hold up pretty well.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
You cut it to size. Why don't you go to a drugstore and check out what they have? There's usually an assortment of 15-30 of them at any drugstore or ___-Mart type of place.

They're all packaged up and I wasn't sure which one is the "best" to buy. I thought about getting the memory foam version, but I figure the forum might be the best place to ask. Is it easy to cut the insole into shape?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You can use a razor or heavy scissors to cut the insole. Are you going to take out the original insole and replace it, or add another one? That will determine how thick of one you can use.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
You can use a razor or heavy scissors to cut the insole. Are you going to take out the original insole and replace it, or add another one? That will determine how thick of one you can use.

Can you even remove the insole from the Chucks All-star? I don't think you can. Are there instructions inside the packaging that will tell me how thick I will need to make it?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know, when I looked at Chucks it didn't look like you could take out the insole. So you're probably stuck with a thin one, and there aren't a ton of choices unless the shoes are loose to begin with.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I don't know, when I looked at Chucks it didn't look like you could take out the insole. So you're probably stuck with a thin one, and there aren't a ton of choices unless the shoes are loose to begin with.

I just checked my Chucks and you can't remove it. I'm not sure if I understand you. Are you telling me that the Dr. Scholl products might not fit unless I cut it really thin?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No, I'm saying you'll have to pick one that's thin in the first place, not one of the heavier ones that have molded-in plastic and stuff. Some of them are meant to replace a boot insole and they have arch supports, etc. What's the purpose of these? You just want it cushier or what?

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
No, I'm saying you'll have to pick one that's thin in the first place, not one of the heavier ones that have molded-in plastic and stuff. Some of them are meant to replace a boot insole and they have arch supports, etc. What's the purpose of these? You just want it cushier or what?

I need more support in the Chucks. My feet hurts after wearing the Chucks all day long.

rellik

Reaction score
i got insurance to pay for my custom molded orthodics, i used em for years for walking around and for my running shoes and they are definitely better than OTC insoles

check out a local podiatrist

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you can't tear out the insoles, you might be SOL with the Chucks, because the aftermarket insoles that have arches are usually pretty thick.

You could try Purcells, which not only have good support, but the insoles are removable (and decent quality).

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend if I'm looking for thick, supportive insoles (eg for work boots like Chippewas or Chucks that are slightly large)?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can never remember the names of them, because I toss the package, but I have some Dr Scholls with this carbon fibrey looking stuff in the arches, and they feel really good in my army boots.

One thing though - they work better if your feet are around a 10 or so, because the arch is sized for that and you only cut the toe to fit it in... so if you have much smaller or much larger feet, they might not work as well as the proportions will be out of whack. Anyway, just check them out at the drugstore, there are always new kinds.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 9.5. I hope that would be close enough to avoid any problems?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads