• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for first suit

jhwendland

Reaction score
Recent graduate looking for an appropriate suit for interviews and employment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look around the internet and get a good baseline idea of HOW A SUIT SHOULD FIT. There are plenty of threads here that will give you bits and pieces of useful info.

Once you've got an idea of how you want the suit to fit, go into some local stores and try on suits to get an idea of what sizes fit the best and what areas of the suits don't fit quite right (shoulders, chest, waist, thighs, etc). Once you've done that, you can start to look into products that don't have the fit issues that you noted.

People here can guide you more after you've started to do those things. You have to do some work. If you don't do those things, then you'll just get a lot of random, hit or miss opinions, and you'll probably end up wasting money on a low value suit that doesn't fit.

Last edited:

MartiniGirl

Reaction score
^^ Once you've done what VinnyMac told you to do, look into the MarketPlace (featured above). Members are selling some amazing clothes for a great deal! Just get your measurements first! Good luck!

zerostyle

Reaction score
There are a million threads on here, but I'll just leave you this to get started:

Features
* Go with a solid staple color, my order of preference: navy, charcoal, medium gray
* 2-button
* Notch lapel
* Avoid functional button cuffs to save money tailoring
* Both center and side vents in the rear are fine

Fit
* Most important: Shoulders should not extend past your natural shoulders
* Jacket length should land about at the knuckle of your thumb
* With top button only buttoned, should be snug but not tight. Keep sizing down until you get the "X", and then go back up a size.
* Armholes: Lift up your arms - you shouldn't see giant wing-like things underneath them.

All of the other details are nit-pickier stylish things that most people won't care about. The other thing you'll have to consider is the quality of the suit. You basically have a few ranges:

$200-$300 range: These will be fused (glued) suits. Basically a starter/throwaway suit. If you have the money, consider going up to the next level to try to buy a "suit for life". The other downside is fabrics here tend to not be as nice. From what I've read some decent slim options are the Bar III suit at Macy's and the JCrew Factory Thompson suit.

$300-$400 range: Some JCrew options here that are decent and half-canvassed instead of fused

$500-$600 range: Good options here are Brooks Brothers 1818 line (fitzgerald, milano) , half canvassed, or something like the Benjamin suit which is fully canvassed. Fabric will be better quality like super 120's, 130's, etc.

$600+ Probably not what you're looking for, but you'll get better little details.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recent graduate looking for an appropriate suit for interviews and employment.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried a little research here - we really do not need yet another thread on this exact topic. It does destroy one's confidence in those graduating that no 'search' is done at all.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score

jhwendland

Reaction score
Have you tried a little research here - we really do not need yet another thread on this exact topic. It does destroy one's confidence in those graduating that no 'search' is done at all.
Looks like I shouldn't have assumed followers of such an egoist pursuit were capable of altruism.

And sorry I'm not up-to-speed on all the punctilios of styleforum.net.

Sincere apologies,
Inept, indolent student

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like I shouldn't have assumed followers of such an egoist pursuit were capable of altruism.

And sorry I'm not up-to-speed on all the punctilios of styleforum.net.

Sincere apologies,
Inept, indolent student
Altruism and babysitting/hand-holding are different things. It seems like you're looking for the latter. This same, exact thread pops up every few months. If you did a search you'd know that.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check suitsupply - get something charcoal or navy, you can get good stuff for under $500 and they offer free returns. You feed in some basic measurements and they will tell you what size you need to help you get started.

jhwendland

Reaction score
Altruism and babysitting/hand-holding are different things. It seems like you're looking for the latter. This same, exact thread pops up every few months. If you did a search you'd know that.
I was aware of the fact that the subject has been broached in the past. I am now also aware of the fact that you're a presumptuous dick. By the way, in animadverting upon my apparently asinine question, you've accomplished nothing but bring greater attention to a thread you find superfluous.

Stiva

Reaction score
Although to VM's credit, his first post in this thread was uncharacteristically helpful and quite gentle.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought our new collective answer was 'Suit Supply' for everyone that asks this question.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Altruism and babysitting/hand-holding are different things. It seems like you're looking for the latter. This same, exact thread pops up every few months. If you did a search you'd know that.

Funny enough, a new one just popped up a few moments go. So there you have it.

Search feature: good.

Asking redundant questions which will either be ignored or yield salty replies from long standing members: not good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads