• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for first suit

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought our new collective answer was 'Suit Supply' for everyone that asks this question.

No fair - I was posting about SuitSupply before it was cool back in 2009 - then everyone jumped on the bandwagon and ruined it - like Kanye West, Coldplay, and Brooklyn... I think I just became a hipster. :embar:

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Features
* Go with a solid staple color, my order of preference: navy, navy, navy and medium grey.
* 2-button or 3 roll 2 are fine.
* Notch lapel
* Functional button cuffs are a very nice detail - only if the sleeve lengths are spot on. Otherwise it becomes a hassle to tailor and you should buy one without functional cuffs.
* Both center and side vents in the rear are fine, although center vents are less common these days.

Fit
* Most important: Shoulders should not extend past your natural shoulders. This is the most important element in terms of fit.
* Jacket length should land about at the knuckle of your thumb
* With top button only buttoned, should be snug but not tight. Keep sizing down until you get the "X", and then go back up a size.
* Armholes: Lift up your arms - you shouldn't see giant wing-like things underneath them.

All of the other details are nit-pickier stylish things that most people won't care about. The other thing you'll have to consider is the quality of the suit. You basically have a few ranges:

$200-$300 range: These will be fused (glued) suits. Basically a starter/throwaway suit. If you have the money, consider going up to the next level to try to buy a "suit for life". The other downside is fabrics here tend to not be as nice. From what I've read some decent slim options are the Bar III suit at Macy's and the JCrew Factory Thompson suit.

$300-$400 range: Some JCrew options here that are decent and half-canvassed instead of fused

$500-$600 range: Good options here are Suit Supply, Brooks Brothers 1818 line (fitzgerald, milano) , half canvassed, or something like the Benjamin suit which is fully canvassed. Fabric will be better quality like super 120's, 130's, etc. At this price range you can also get some real solid quality during sales, such as Polo, Ralph Lauren black label.

$600+ Probably not what you're looking for, but you'll get better little details.

jhwendland

Reaction score
I don't know much about suits, but I do know a jacket shouldn't land at the knuckle of your thumb.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know much about suits, but I do know a jacket shouldn't land at the knuckle of your thumb.

Really? Where should it be? The thumb knuckle isn't a hard and fast rule, but it is a good approximation. If your arm length is proportional to your body, it is about right. To clarify (if there is any confusion) the thumb knuckle refers to the last joint of the thumb, not the base where the thumb meets the hand

I have disproportionately short arms, so I usually like my jackets to end at the tip of my thumb.

Last edited:

Snaporaz

Reaction score

Are you thinking the jacket should be much shorter? As a rough guide, the thumb knuckle is a good one. Don't make the mistake of buying a Thom Browne style suit for interviews!

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? Where should it be? The thumb knuckle isn't a hard and fast rule, but it is a good approximation. If your arm length is proportional to your body, it is about right. To clarify (if there is any confusion) the thumb knuckle refers to the last joint of the thumb, not the base where the thumb meets the hand

I have disproportionately short arms, so I usually like my jackets to end at the tip of my thumb.

I have really long arms so mine generally land on my mushroom tip.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP might be confusing jacket sleeve landing on thumb knuckle with bottom of jacket ending at thumb knuckle level...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads