• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for Black Combat Style Boots

SquidHelmet

Reaction score
Hi all, As it'll be winter soon I'm looking for a specific sort of military boot and I was wondering if you sagacious lot could help me out. I'm looking for a high black leather combat boot that was used by the US military in the 60s or 70s. I believe they were USMC issue, before wack-ass speed lacing was implemented. 9 eyelets, with eyelets missing in the middle (probably to preserve a degree of mobility in the ankle), and a non-captoe design. Alternatively, the Alden AF43 black shell cordovans appeal to me greatly but I can't nearly afford them. As I'm a poor student I'm looking for something in the $100 - $250 range, preferably. I'd be very curious to see more fashion-forward elaborations on this basic design as well. It may very well turn out that some of you simply know of a source for this particular pair of boots on the internet that I haven't been able to find, which would be splendid. For reference I'm living in the Manhattan area so all of NYC is at my disposal. Here is a photograph of the exact type that I've been looking for: Preferably new, but used versions on ebay and the like work too. My somewhat in depth search hasn't been successful so far. Thank you!

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the Alden AF43 appeals to you, may I suggest Red Wing Gentlemens Travaler as an alternative? It is $244 + free shipping at Zappos. It is a favorite among the members here.

7954-529368-p.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$216 and free shipping/no tax at shermanbrothers.com

SquidHelmet

Reaction score
Though the GT is admittedly a very nice boot, I'm put off by the contrasting stitching and sole area. The USMC boots I posted and the AF43 evoke a sleeker aesthetic to me, with the AF43 representing a more refined take on it.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea the Red Wings are a great alternative. I love mine to death. The aldens are great but sooo expensive. Check these out.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7404954/c/3.html

I am pretty sure they have been discontinued. Zappos only has an 11.5 but if you search you can probably find them elsewhere.

SquidHelmet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Contingency Plan
A bit O/T here, but I'm a big fan of Tanker boots:
21BK5ADCXML._AA280_.jpg

Not at all O/T- is the only closure on those the strap that winds all the way around? I assume they're sort of slip-on.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're designed for tankers and vehicle crews who spend most of their time standing or sitting. More comfortable and easier to adjust, but for obvious reasons not really as secure as laces.

Calden

Reaction score
I would go with a custom Dehner tank boot. A little above your price range at $300, but they're MTM so you can customize your leather, sole, height, etc. I'm going to pick up a pair this fall for a winter boot. I suggest eating Ramen for a month and buying these... http://www.dehner.com/customboots_military.html
dehnerlacedtanker.jpg
tankboot2.jpg
dehnersole.jpg

mr.loverman

Reaction score
i have a pair of almost new redwing gentleman travelers 8.5 in black cherry. pm me if interested.

truestorytravis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Calden
I would go with a custom Dehner tank boot. A little above your price range at $300, but they're MTM so you can customize your leather, sole, height, etc. I'm going to pick up a pair this fall for a winter boot. I suggest eating Ramen for a month and buying these...
I have a pair of thrifted Dehner's. They are extremely comfortable, look great with jeans, and I LOVE the way they look all busted up--highly recommended. Of course, I only paid about $20 for mine.
2005063855445480215_rs.jpg
2005029261361808512_rs.jpg

truestorytravis

Reaction score
you mean the tankers? you generally don't see anything above the buckle at the ankle, so they just look like an engineer boot, albeit with a better shape than any engineers i've seen.

SquidHelmet

Reaction score
Those Dehners are beautiful- I might just have to save up and have them put a pair together for me. Otherwise, no one knows of any military surplus sites/ stores in the greater NYC area that might stock the boots I posted in the OP?

Thank you very much for everyone who replied- really appreciate the help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads