• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for Bespoke Tailors in Hong Kong, Shanghai and Bangkok

llcooljayce

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I will have the opportunity to travel to Asia next March and I am trying to figure out where I should go to get my suits custom made. I will be going to the cities of Hong Kong, Shanghai and Bangkok.

What I am looking for are some names of trusted tailors that other SF members have had experience with and also some thoughts around which location, if I had to choose, offers the best combination of value for money. Plans are still open to change in terms of dates so I can stay longer in any location if need be.

I am also looking to get the James Bond (Tom Ford) Quantum of Solace suit made ... any thoughts on where I can get my hands on details to provide the tailor so they know which cut to use? Thanks

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your budget OP? BTW I hope you will enjoy your trip

llcooljayce

Reaction score
Pretty open on budget. Not really sure what to expect as this will be my first bespoke suit.

I looked into it here in Canada and the tailors were quoting $1500+ per suit ... not sure if it is realistic to expect quality in Asian countries for $500 but if it is, then $500-$800 ...

I guess I am looking for some insight as well as to what to expect to spend and I know a lot of it depends on the fabric ..

Tropicalist

Reaction score
Between the three Bangkok has the best price quality trade off. I'd suggest world group in all seasons place on wireless road. Their main outlet is in oriental hotel at 4x the price. This is a front and the two shops share the same workshop. A full canvas with good handwork (but not all hand) will cost about usd300 for the workmanship. You can bring your own fabric or buy it from them. They also go excellent shirt from aboud usd80. It is not cheap but comparable to 3-4x prices in terms of quality. However go give time for 2 or 3 fittings which should be possible within a week or so. Look for Danny

hugh51271

Reaction score

Between the three Bangkok has the best price quality trade off. I'd suggest world group in all seasons place on wireless road. Their main outlet is in oriental hotel at 4x the price. This is a front and the two shops share the same workshop. A full canvas with good handwork (but not all hand) will cost about usd300 for the workmanship. You can bring your own fabric or buy it from them. They also go excellent shirt from aboud usd80. It is not cheap but comparable to 3-4x prices in terms of quality. However go give time for 2 or 3 fittings which should be possible within a week or so. Look for Danny

Here is their outlet:
http://www.allseasonsplace.net/en/shopping-center/directory/detail.php?ELEMENT_ID=64#1

$300 for a full canvas!
I will take a look at this place next time I am there.
I only have experience with Narin who charges double that for full canvas.

I was aware of their main outlet, but their price put me off in the past. I was unaware of this outlet.
The location is convenient too.

Cheers.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, if you can afford home price, I know a quiet place for you in Hong Kong.

Your budget can certainly get a quality product if you bring your own fabric to my tailor, that will be for a jacket and trouser, and quicker turnover than the big four in HK.

If your budget includes cloth than I believe Lee Baron will be the best in Hong Kong.

Last edited:

woody3691

Reaction score
Used WG by Oriental Hotel for 4 suits. They would not do full canvass. Batting 50/50 on the suits. Had to have two suits reworked by other tailors to get it right.

Moon River on Sukhumvit by Asoke BTS has been consistently excellent. Will do full canvass. High quality fabrics available at reasonable prices. They also re-tailored many suits and sport jackets that were store bought, Cerutti, Hickey-Freeman, Canali and Zegna. They also took the time to remove poor pic-stitching by other tailors, shorten sleeves from the shoulder, shorten jacket length, taper waist, etc whatever was needed to make the suit or jacket fit well. They were willing to spend the time on the garments and the charges to have it fit right were not outlandish. I was well satisfied. If you're looking for a reliable tailor who can get the measurements right, have in-house tailors doing the work and get value for your money, I think Moon River is a very reliable tailor to use.

Tropicalist

Reaction score

Used WG by Oriental Hotel for 4 suits. They would not do full canvass. Batting 50/50 on the suits. Had to have two suits reworked by other tailors to get it right.
Moon River on Sukhumvit by Asoke BTS has been consistently excellent. Will do full canvass. High quality fabrics available at reasonable prices. They also re-tailored many suits and sport jackets that were store bought, Cerutti, Hickey-Freeman, Canali and Zegna. They also took the time to remove poor pic-stitching by other tailors, shorten sleeves from the shoulder, shorten jacket length, taper waist, etc whatever was needed to make the suit or jacket fit well. They were willing to spend the time on the garments and the charges to have it fit right were not outlandish. I was well satisfied. If you're looking for a reliable tailor who can get the measurements right, have in-house tailors doing the work and get value for your money, I think Moon River is a very reliable tailor to use.

I have been getting full canvass done at WG for the last 10 years. Also their fit has been excellent. Which cutter did you use?

llcooljayce

Reaction score
Topicalist ... do you think World Group would have the Tom Ford Base A or B pattern on hand in store? I am looking to get the Tom Ford James Bond suit made and although it looks like they would have it, I was hoping an insider could shed some light.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A subject where research here would help you enormously but try Gordon Yao or WW Chan in HK for the best quality.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A subject where research here would help you enormously but try Gordon Yao or WW Chan in HK for the best quality.

I am unsure how much effort will they give for a traveler customer who need multiple fittings in days.

Tropicalist

Reaction score

Topicalist ... do you think World Group would have the Tom Ford Base A or B pattern on hand in store?  I am looking to get the Tom Ford James Bond suit made and although it looks like they would have it, I was hoping an insider could shed some light.

I seriously doubt it. They are not in that business, the only pattern I know of the one the cutter made on paper in consultation with me. It's a fairly bespoke service - as in you must be firmly in command of your tastes and co-create the piece with him. However, he will certainly point out fatal error or lunacies to you. I have had at least 10 suits and 5-6 odd jackets, and maybe 50 shirts made with him- some that I have taken back after years for minor alterations.
My suggestion would be to bring very clear printouts of what you want, and then let him work on it. Be prepared for 3-4 fittings to get it right and then make sure he saves your paper pattern. It looks like given your schedule in bkk that is not going to be a problem.
The big error most people make in Asia is not give enough fittings with the tailor. Even now after 10 years of working with him, 2-3 fittings is my average.

llcooljayce

Reaction score
How quickly can the fittings be scheduled? We have a bit of compressed schedule now and will probably be in Bangkok for 4 days or so ... we are planning on going to the Thai islands and beaches for a while and would probably come back through Bangkok if need be.

Tropicalist

Reaction score

How quickly can the fittings be scheduled?  We have a bit of compressed schedule now and will probably be in Bangkok for 4 days or so ... we are planning on going to the Thai islands and beaches for a while and would probably come back through Bangkok if need be.  

You can one for sure in 4 days- just possible perhaps to get two if the workshop is not too busy. When you come back from the islands you can get one more done. Best to call Danny and let him know when you are coming and what your timings are so he can ensure there is time for everything

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads