• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for Auto GPS

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that more and more people are switching over to using their smart phones for navigational purposes, but there are some enticing Black Friday deals for GPS navigational systems for cars that have piqued my interest.

This will be my first GPS purchase, so I'm looking for some help on the features that one should get or any particular models and brands.

I know that I want my GPS to say out loud the street names, but other than that, any other important or necessary features I should get? I'm really curious about how well the traffic feature actually works, and if its worth paying for that upgrade. I live in Orange County and traffic on the freeways can be a issue at times.

Or, is it best to just get the bare bones for a GPS? I was reading consumersearch, and they said that the more expensive models were oftentimes worse than the more basic models:

n real-life use, owners say the Garmin nuvi 255W is a reliably fast, efficient navigator -- more so than newer, fancier Garmin models... Owners give these high-end Garmins mixed reviews when it comes to basic satellite lock and picking the best routes, while the budget nuvi 255W gets great reviews for these fundamental functions.
I'm also considering getting a model with lifetime maps, but I guess that's only important if the GPS lasts long enough for that to be a concern. How long did you guys use a particular GPS model for?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Garmin. I've had one for about five years that works very well. I update it at least once a year.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could buy a GPS, a camera, a mp3 player, a nintendo DS, and a kindle... or you could just buy a smartphone.

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I've had a few people say that Garmin sucks. No real life experience with any of them myself.

Funny you say that. My fiance has a garmin in her car. It seems to have alot more features but dam if it doesn't send us in the wackiest directions.

My magellan on the other hand gets me where I need to go and generally takes me on the most logical routes.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My aeroplane has a Garmin cockpit which is great, but the satnav in my car is shocking. You can't go wrong with TomTom though, cheap and easy to use.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have an iPhone, Navigon is going on sale this Friday.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
My aeroplane has a Garmin cockpit which is great, but the satnav in my car is shocking. You can't go wrong with TomTom though, cheap and easy to use.
Shocking as in it keeps giving you directions which would lead you to drive off a cliff? Or shocking in that it keeps shorting out your dashboard and car stereo?

henrikc

Reaction score
TomTom XXXL? We got one of those (or the XXL version, not 100% sure) and it works perfectly fine. We've had a couple of TomToms over the years, some were stolen and some were just downgraded, and we have no real complaints about them.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a bunch of Garmins over the years. Finally got tired of them breaking 6 months after purchase (one wouldn't charge, one became totally inaccurate - would say I was a town away, or driving through a river, one stopped speaking directions, etc.) Switched to TomTom XXL recently but haven't used it enough to give a verdict. I'll be avoiding Garmin in the future, though.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Shocking as in it keeps giving you directions which would lead you to drive off a cliff? Or shocking in that it keeps shorting out your dashboard and car stereo?

A brief list of things that went wrong on one unit:

1. Failure to charge
2. Failure to load maps
3. Taking upwards of 1 hour to locate a satellite
4. Enraging me enough to throw it out of a window

The last point was the point at which I went TomTom and have had three so far. Each upgrade because I love spending money on **** I don't need, not because they broke.

On the other hand if you are kitting out a dashboard in a plane I couldn't recommend the G1000 enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads