• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for a very informal interview?

amdi8

Reaction score
I have a job interview coming up. Unlike a lot of companies, this is a super-informal place (shorts/jeans everywhere). So I can't show up with a full suit and tie (not like I own one).

The typical rule of thumb is to dress up one notch from the expected dress code. So what do you recommend as a dress up from shorts/jeans? Khakis? What about shoes?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Choose a less formal tie, to add. The last time I was in roughly similar circumstances, I chose a baby blue tie.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it just depends on the environment. If it's a pretty casual job (i.e. entry level sales, or a job in a creative environment where noone dresses up at all, as is probably indicated by everyone wearing shorts/jeans) perhaps polo/khakis or tan wool trousers) may be a better choice than a jacket/tie.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt khakis or chinos would be bad either way. They're still in a respectable range of the business casual spectrum.

WN2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Sportcoat, tie and bluchers? I can't imagine going to any interview dressed more casually than that. And I'd choose wool trousers over khakis, even if you go with a khaki color. Cotton wrinkles too much.

You'd have some serious trouble working in technology, at least in the less formal areas of Europe unless you are in the management
smile.gif
For my last two interviews I wore a collared shirt with khakis/jeans. Didn't feel a bit underdressed (in the context..). Last company even warned before the interview that the dress culture at the company was "very relaxed". O tempora, o mores.

amdi8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I think it just depends on the environment. If it's a pretty casual job (i.e. entry level sales, or a job in a creative environment where noone dresses up at all, as is probably indicated by everyone wearing shorts/jeans) perhaps polo/khakis or tan wool trousers) may be a better choice than a jacket/tie.

Yeah, it's a highly creative environment. So shirt/polo + nice jeans/khakis is probably a good way to go.

The thing I have no idea is what to do for shoes though. I don't think walking in with my Adidas or Pumas would be a great move. Any recommendations for a shoe that's not very dressy but would go well with the above description?

Thanks!

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amdi8
Yeah, it's a highly creative environment.

I still don't quite get why "creative" means "we can dress like crap". I guess I'm just not creative enough.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In America, at least, any job coach, employment researcher, or business communication teacher (that's me) would tell you to wear a suit. Yes, the workplace is casual; yes, the interviewer may well be casual; and yes, maybe a polo shirt and chinos won't actually hurt. However, there have been far too many reports from employers (not interviewees) who said that, even though they were casual, they expected interviewees to wear "interview attire" (a.k.a. a suit and tie); those who didn't have often been assessed as not taking the interview/job seriously. And besides, I don't know of a single study that showed that, even among casual work environments, dressing up actually did any harm. So your best bet is with a suit.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you specifically know that a suit would be unacceptable or there are reasons besides dress that might make them believe you will be a bad fit for company culture, a suit is fine. When I'm hiring for IT positions I like to see a suit just so I know they own one in case we ever have clients or investors they'll need to dress up to meet.
smile.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm usually the first person to suggest wearing a suit for interviews, and as an interviewer (admittedly hiring for positions where people should be wearing trousers/dress shirt at the least) I've eliminated people not wearing suits, this environment sounds like it's not one where it's necessary, never mind the fact that the OP said he didn't own a suit, or shoes to go with it. I think purchasing a suit and associated dress shoes to go to an interview where he doesn't really need one isn't a good investment but that's just my $0.02.

AlexP415

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a highly creative environment. So shirt/polo + nice jeans/khakis is probably a good way to go.
PLEASE do NOT wear jeans to an interview. I don't care if you're interviewing for a position digging graves - it's just wrong.

amdi8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
In America, at least, any job coach, employment researcher, or business communication teacher (that's me) would tell you to wear a suit.

Trust me on that one. I know this industry. When somebody walks through the door with a suit on, everybody assumes he has no idea about what's expected.

I guess it's just as much of a faux-pas as walking in with jeans to a job that requires a suit everyday.

So, what shoes to go with some nice khakis and a polo/button up shirt?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Trust me on that one. I know this industry. When somebody walks through the door with a suit on, everybody assumes he has no idea about what's expected.

I guess it's just as much of a faux-pas as walking in with jeans to a job that requires a suit everyday.

So, what shoes to go with some nice khakis and a polo/button up shirt?

If you already knew the answer to your question, or at least made up your mind, why post it in the first place? Surely you wouldn't go out and buy new shoes for a job interview this informal?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why is that the so-called "creative" enviroments always have the most uncreative clothing?

Jeans and a polo shirt? A Mao suit was more avant-garde.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads