Recommendations for a quality peacoat under $200

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cheessus, Sep 17, 2008.

1. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

Looking for any suggestions. I'm a 24 yr old student, athletic build (5'8", 180) and looking for something that would look good dressed up and down, so versatility is a big factor. I might be willing to go up to $250. Thanks!

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I just picked up JCrew's (with thinsulate) for $220 including shipping...they were having a 20% off sale recently.

3. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

I was at H&M recently and saw that they have some nicely fitted, thick wool pea coats for $50-$150. If anything all stores now should be selling their version of the peacoat since it is fall. Go to your favorite store and see what they have. good luck

4. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

Go vintage off eBay.
    I won a 1970's beaut for $27 plus shipping last year.

5. ADH

ADH Well-Known Member

No doubt, if you can have an Army surplus store near you, peep that! Navy issue p-coats are the best. I don't know where you're at but they are heavy and good for cold weather. Black as black can get too. $100 used and $159 new. Made in the States and of excellent quality. If not, check 'em online.

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Picked up a '50s era peacoat thrifting last week. It's actually navy rather than black (shouldn't a navy coat be navy?). I have to draft my wife to do some work at the collar seam then have it dry cleaned. It's in fantastic shape overall, though. So, yes, vintage is a good way to go.

7. ADH

ADH Well-Known Member

Any Navy issue p-coats won't be blue, but black. They aren't made therefore impossible to find. Just the way they do it I guess.

8. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

No doubt, if you can have an Army surplus store near you, peep that! Navy issue p-coats are the best. I don't know where you're at but they are heavy and good for cold weather. Black as black can get too. $100 used and $159 new. Made in the States and of excellent quality. If not, check 'em online.
    Sterlingwear of Boston. http://www.sterlingwear.com. They have the contract currently for supplying peacoats to the US Navy. The Authentic is a replica military-issue peacot. The others they make are stylized versions of the same. I just ordered an Authentic for myself a couple of days ago, getting ready for the fall... [​IMG]

9. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about going vintage, but was wondering if there were any new designs out that were cool.

10. cvac

cvac Senior member

+1 on army surplus and vintage. I have the former and a friend of mine has the latter. Sterlingwear is probably at least as good or better than what you'd get an army surplus store, although the surplus one I bought a few years back is 100% wool and many of theirs are not.

11. fuji

fuji Senior member