1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for a dress belt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lsquare, Oct 17, 2006.

1. caelte

caelte Senior member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
    Meaculpa is right about most of the belts on the market coming from a few sources.

AE has a gator belt with snaps. I called them to get some info on it.
    As far as I could gather it came from the same source in Texas as most of the other gator belts ,RL, etc. I found them very unhelpful.

On the other hand, John Lobb was very friendly and informative.
    They outsource their belts but use their own materials. I've never held one of their belts.

You have to hold a belt to judge it's quality.
    It's alot like knowing how to judge anything else, a suit, a watch,shoes.
    It's always possible to get by with something less.

But then, most people haven't ever seen a good leather strap.

The best belt maker I know of is Bill Julian. 860 844 8440
    He spends an unreasonable amount of time on the details of the belt.
    A gator in 1.25 goes for around $400. He makes about 30 or 40 a year.
    The other two I send people to are Fleming's and April In Paris. These are high end belt makers.

Again, it's like high end shoes or anything else that takes time and is high quality.

Making a belt is a complex affair.
    A good one is as hard to find as a good pair of shoes.

2. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

I sure like the "alligatored" red one, about three down in the pile on the left. Where's that from?

3. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

4. Almighty1

Almighty1 Well-Known Member

Speaking about belts, how do these brands rank versus each other in terms of quality and not price?

Allen-Edmonds, Prada, Gucci, Cartier, Louis Vuitton, Versace, Salvatore Ferragamo.

5. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

6. Almighty1

In the picture above, I have a question about the belt buckles. Counting from the left, are the 3rd,4th,7th ones going to be as secure as 1st, 2nd,5th,6th ones since the later is the traditional where belt's hole is secured by the pin all the way while the former only sits on top of the hole and seems like it can pop off if you were running on something.

7. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

Some nice belts Tomasso, especially the third and fifth from the left...

8. Demeter

Demeter Senior member

In the picture above, I have a question about the belt buckles. Counting from the left, are the 3rd,4th,7th ones going to be as secure as 1st, 2nd,5th,6th ones since the later is the traditional where belt's hole is secured by the pin all the way while the former only sits on top of the hole and seems like it can pop off if you were running on something.

Usually there's a bulbous part to the pin on that type of buckle, so it remains quite secure.

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Usually there's a bulbous part to the pin on that type of buckle, so it remains quite secure.

You're right, but these slide buckles use a hinged compression closure mechanism. Most of the engine turned sterling silver buckles do as well. They will, on rare occasion, malfunction but it's really nothing to worry about.

10. Almighty1

I just remember I had belts with the sliding mechanism that started to pop out once the belt was getting old after being worn alot as the hole widens a bit but those were like very cheap belts. I thought dress belts still were using the traditional buckle though since atleast for Allen-Edmonds, their dress belts all have the traditional buckle with the exception of the Mora which has the sliding buckle. Any comments on the Double loop buckles like the one used on the Louis Vuitton Perforated belt since there are no pins at all. I would imagine that works the same way as adjustable shoulder straps used on backpacks.

11. caelte

I thought dress belts still were using the traditional buckle though since atleast for Allen-Edmonds, their dress belts all have the traditional buckle with the exception of the Mora which has the sliding buckle.

There is no such thing as a traditional belt buckle, although the compression buckle comes closest to that description.

The belt itself is a tradition, since there are other alternatives to holding up one's pants.

12. Almighty1

There is no such thing as a traditional belt buckle, although the compression buckle comes closest to that description.

The belt itself is a tradition, since there are other alternatives to holding up one's pants.

I thought the one in Tomasso's picture on the far left would be considered a traditional buckle as far as the fastening mechanism goes.

13. caelte

I thought the one in Tomasso's picture on the far left would be considered a traditional buckle as far as the fastening mechanism goes.

I'd describe it as the usual.
    Buckles with tongues are the type commonly used on dress belts, but compression buckles and plate buckles are in common use as well.
    It is traditional to use a belt.
    Pants are generally constructed to accommodate it's use.

14. Almighty1

caelte,

I think I'm trying to get the terminology correct. Can you give me a rough idea of what buckle with tongues looks like as well as the compression and plate buckles?

15. Almighty1

Speaking about buckles, if a belt came was available with the same style/design buckle but offered a choice of a Gold or Palladium plating, which one would be more classy? Since I thought Palladium while it looks like Silver could be thought of as Platinum which is worth more than Gold.