• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Recommendations for a Double Breasted 3/4 Length Trench Coat

Bentley

Reaction score
I'm interested in picking up a Double Breasted 3/4 length Trench Coat and am wondering if anyone can recommend a brand to me.

I love the look of the Burberry Trenches. However, I have seen similar ones from Banana Republic for a quarter of the price. I also saw one from Sean John for even less than that.

I don't mind spending the money for the Burberry if it is really that much better. However, I'm not sure that this is the case.

To my untrained eye, the coats all look pretty much the same. Thus, should I just go with the least expensive one or is there something I'm missing?

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
I just finished making one, and having looked over quite a few vintage pieces I can tell you that if Burberry hasn't cut their quality in the last decade they are an acceptable value at retail, but a great deal if you can find them on sale and an absolute steal if you find one thrifting.

BR is a quarter of the price for a reason - it's called cheap construction and materials.

I copied mine of an original WWI piece minus the D rings and in a navy blue color - my manufacturing cost was close to 1/2 the cost of a retail Burberry.......I know they have ways to cut it down better than me, but I assume they are sinking quite a bit into every coat.

Burberry is the best trench you can buy off the rack. Get exactly what you want, cry once about the price, then wear the hell out of it for the next 20 years and be happy.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.