• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation of suppliers of real horn buttons for Bespoke suits

Rudolf

Reaction score
Need help from my fellow tailors. The Company that I usually order my real horn buttons in the UK has gone belly up after 187 years, real shame, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend another company that manufactures polished real Buffalo horn buttons in a variety of colours and sizes.
Thanks for your help.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. Was told this week that someone has purchased all the machines and equipment from that company and is in the process of learning to make the buttons. Have no idea of when they will be available again. Don't have another source for that style of button.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My price list is a few years out of date but I will PM it to you if you are interested. Buttons are sold by the gross, 25% upcharge on orders less than a gross per size, style and color.

Shantz Associates
585-924-0254

Rudolf

Reaction score
Yes I would be interested in your price list. Please email me at [email protected]. I am in need of light or medium grey, polished would be delightful. Please also include minimum order required.

Thank you

Rudolf Popradi

Last edited:

RJE

Reaction score

Some very nice buttons there, but categorised as 'small' and 'large' - presumably 24/32, so no 36s for DB. The default option is 3 large and 8 small - buy more in case you wish to reject a few.

I recently bought some from Schneider Knopf. A few European countries can order online; for the rest of us, orders are taken by email. Their shopping basket really annoyed me, so I took a note of the button codes and emailed for a price. Contact Frau Klein on [email protected]. Delivery could have been faster, but not bad. Minimum order of 25 of each type. I bought several similar types, as you can't easily judge colours on screen. Very happy with the buttons. Would definitely buy again, but I now have a lot of buttons.

Last edited:

Rudolf

Reaction score
Thanks RJE for the information. I checked their supply on line and they make some beautiful buttons. Would have liked to have seen more selection in the grey horn buttons. They also have some very nice blue (blau) horn buttons. I've sent an email, few days have passed, hopely I didn't affend anyone with my German translation. I will try again in a few days.
If you have any Grey horn buttons you want to be freed of, let me know.

Thanks again.

Rudolf Popradi, Bespoke

Penfold

Reaction score
In case any of this stellar list of tailors find themselves passing this way again,

I see The Linings Company sell real horn buttons, both two hole and four hole, in 23l, 30l and 35l sizes.

I had previously understood that sleeve buttons were 24l and front buttons were 32l.

So my question is - would you size down to 30l for the front or up to 35l? Or pass and keep looking...

Many thanks.

jedwards

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a source where I can get some genuine horn buttons for a shirt?

The traditional mottled type. I don't want plastic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads