• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation needed on suspenders (braces if you prefer)

dba

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently purchased a dark brown DB suit with tan pinstripes. This is the first suit I have purchased with trousers minus belt loops, so I am in the hunt for a set of suspenders. I would prefer to purchase online as currently overseas but will be in San Jose and Orlando in Septemeber so could check some local stores/outlet malls as well. I am not looking to sink a lot of money to accessorize a suit I probably won't wear all that often. Also, I would prefer an elastic pair over a model with leather shoulder straps. I was hoping to find something possibly with tan colors straps and dark brown connectors but the closest I have able to find was cream straps (I liked those) with light brown connectors (not so much)...buttons not clips and prefer plain or a simple stripe or pattern, not a pair with pictures. Does anyone have any recommendations in the $25-$65 range?

thanks!
dba

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Many, many elastic options here:

http://www.classicwardrobe.co.uk/-/P.../-/Braces.aspx

However, keep in mind that leather is not your only option apart from elastic. "Barathea" (really rayon, but not bad looking) is another. I have many pairs from this company (Thurston) in their barathea, and they look nice, wear well and hold up great. The very top example, in tan barathea with brown leather ends, sounds like just what you are looking for.

dba

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Although not against the law, I would not try to match my braces to my suit. However, if that's what you want, you can find traflagar braces on ebay in new condition for about that amount. Whether the exact color scheme you want exists, I can't say/

As I am treading new ground here, what general rules of thumb exist when it comes to brace selection? I am unaware.

Dba

dba

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Many, many elastic options here:

http://www.classicwardrobe.co.uk/-/P.../-/Braces.aspx

However, keep in mind that leather is not your only option apart from elastic. "Barathea" (really rayon, but not bad looking) is another. I have many pairs from this company (Thurston) in their barathea, and they look nice, wear well and hold up great. The very top example, in tan barathea with brown leather ends, sounds like just what you are looking for.

Thanks for the link. I had seen a few Thurstons on eBay but looks like this Bromleys has several models in schemes similar to what I was looking for. Are they an English brand? I actually will have an 11 hr. layover at Heathrow so maybe I could purchase a pair then at one of the many airport stores. I figure the inflated price might offset the shipping charges, lol.

dba

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Yes, they are English. FYI, I have never seen a price lower than what Bromley's is charging. I think even Thurston's own website charges more.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dba
As I am treading new ground here, what general rules of thumb exist when it comes to brace selection? I am unaware.

Dba

I would not say that there are necessarily general rules to brace selection but in terms of color and pattern matching. For men, I think it is best to avoid looking contrived and one way to do that is effect a certain randomness in the outfit and to seek out contrast which is in step with the idea that you didnt put too much thought into what you chose (even if you actually did) and to avoid the dress principles that women employ.

I would indulge myself in a pair of button tab braces of your own fancy, irrespective of how they fit in with a specific suit, shirt or tie.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dba

Dba

The traditional rule, or maybe default starting point, is to match them to the suit. Though "match" is really the wrong word, but go with a color that complements the suit. Otherwise, you can try to complement the tie, or else go with something totally contrasting but harmonious (gray suit, blue tie, wine braces).

The leather ends should go with your shoes: black with black, brown with brown. The brown match does not have to be exact. White ends go with any color shoe, but are especially good with black.

dba

Reaction score
Well the beige edge ones caught my eye right of the bat so maybe that's a sign, lol. I will be wearing a darker brown shoe with a hint of red so was set on the dark brown ends though I am fairly open on the straps themselves. I will try to attach a picture of the suit. For good measure I will also try to attach a picture of the beiges ends. Per the previous post, I am also trying to visualise how other colors may look. Was thinking maybe the navy/wine stipe could give me some versatility with other outfits, but maybe I am going down the wrong path, lol. I'll try to include a pic of those too. Those have black ends though and would relegate me to a black shoe. I have always been comfortable with black shoes brown pants but some of my "stylish friends" have advised otherwise. I guess I could always wear by Dr. Martens wintips which are black with a brown platform, lol.

dba

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads