1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendation for small messenger/manbag

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aleksandr, Sep 29, 2009.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hope this guy is trolling but even then the possibilities are grim: 1) Unfunny troll 2) Barely literate homophobic retard Why can't we get more Vanity and Ernest and less pathetic attempts are gathering attention through second rate trolling.
    +1. A really witty, homophobic troll might be some fun for a coupla hours. Sadly, they usually just don't go dick-in-hand together, as they generally are too busy catching furtive glances at those special editions of National Geographic with the glossy foldouts of African horsehung tribesmen to spend much time on being clever.

2. Mild Mannered

Mild Mannered Senior member

Shot out over an hour ago, then rolled over and went to sleep.

Disagreement is one thing; outright, blatant homophobia and scaredness of "teh gheyz," as evidenced in everything you wrote, is something else entirely. We're not all wearing dresses, we're not all poofting around.

YOU'RE the one who started this with the purse-talk. The OP just wanted to know some options on how to carry his stuff around. Anyway, if you can't take the heat, best to go back to the Roman Polanski Rape thread. You're doing a great job there.

A phobia is a fear. I am not afraid.
    I never said I was 18th century...one of you did, either here, or on the Polanski thread.
    And it's not nice to cross-post.
    Guys..I have a bad flu. Let's fight some other time. and from now on, I'm not responding to gang-bangs. have a good night. [​IMG]

3. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I see no reason for you guys ganging up on me because I won't be forced into your thinking. You 'guys' are such whiners. Wear your purses already. Just don't think that you are defining the future of menswear. There's something very wrong with some of you when you think its 'ok' to gang up on someone who doesn't agree with you...and I'm not responding to this thread again.
    A phobia is a fear. I am not afraid. I never said I was 18th century...one of you did, either here, or on the Polanski thread. And it's not nice to cross-post. Guys..I have a bad flu.
    [​IMG]
    Let's fight some other time. and from now on, I'm not responding to gang-bangs. have a good night. [​IMG]
    lol so much for that. But thanks for the sig.

4. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

I see no reason for you guys ganging up on me because I won't be forced into your thinking.
    You 'guys' are such whiners. Wear your purses already. Just don't think that you are defining the future of menswear. There's something very wrong with some of you when you think its 'ok' to gang up on someone who doesn't agree with you...and I'm not responding to this thread again.

Doesn't look like he'll be responding to anyone anytime soon, now that he's banned [​IMG]

Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions guys. Yes, I am looking for the man-version of the purse. Am wondering about the portrait version of the messenger (e.g. the ones linked by Crane in his original post way back in #2 of this thread). Always thought messengers were landscape, so am trying to figure out if I can live with a portrait one.

5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I never thought of it that way, but I definitely prefer 'landscape' to 'portrait' in this case.

6. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Doesn't look like he'll be responding to anyone anytime soon, now that he's banned [​IMG]

Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions guys. Yes, I am looking for the man-version of the purse. Am wondering about the portrait version of the messenger (e.g. the ones linked by Crane in his original post way back in #2 of this thread). Always thought messengers were landscape, so am trying to figure out if I can live with a portrait one.

It works out well. Your stuff is deeper in the bag so you don't have to worry about small things falling out. The narrow profile keeps it from being clunky looking too. I keep an I phone, small camera and a flashlight in mine most of the time without any problems.

7. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

Are you a homosexual? I don't care if you are, but for the sake of clarification, are you?
    If so, put it in your signature so everyone will know that your advice is the advice of a homosexual.
    Seriously. instead of trying to influence heterosexual males to carry purses.
    If you are gay and proud of it, then put it in your signature.

thank you for kicking this guy out. what a loser.

8. Thread Killer

Thread Killer Well-Known Member

Entertaining and informative thread, as it turned me on to saddlebackleather.com. Thanks SF!

9. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

[​IMG]

I need a messenger bag for work, to carry my lunch/laptop, random shit... I've come across this J. Fold Courier Messenger bag, and I'm wondering what you guys think of it? (It's the top one in the above photo).

Or should I try and avoid messenger bags entirely?

10. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

11. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

12. Patek

Patek Senior member

Don't care for it. Looks too "schoolboy".

13. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Fair enough, what would you recommend? I'm looking for suggestions!

14. Patek

Patek Senior member

You have to give us a budget here...

Besides, what is your style? Leather? Canvas? What will you be wearing it with etc.

15. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

I'd like to keep it around $250-300. I'll be using it for work, to carry my laptop/lunch/files, etc. I wear suits and or blazers/dress shirt/trousers most days to work, sometimes chinos and polos. Leather or canvas, I'm cool with either. Canvas might be more my style, but I will consider leather bags.

16. Patek

Patek Senior member

Based of that, I would suggest you look at Filson bags. They are canvas with leather trim and are in your budget. They might be a wee bit casual for suit wear, but some people on here pull them off. I am not the biggest fan, but there are those who swear by them--which means something.

http://www.filson.com/luggage/

You can sometimes find them in the B&S section for below retail.

Here is a whole thread for the love of Filson:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=133759

I think leather is more appropriate for a suit. Here are some from a forum sponsor:

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/129

17. mlc85

mlc85 New Member

18. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Yeah, those Filson bags (256 and 257) are along the lines of what I want. Thanks, guys. I'll have to think about purchasing one! I don't wear suits every day to work, maybe once or twice a week, so perhaps their less-than-formal quality won't be a dealbreaker for me.

19. 3dials

3dials Senior member

I agree- I bought 2 of these on final sale on Gilt thinking I would like them because of the quality leather and brass look. They are well made, but they are too small- almost purse-like dimensions. For me to be comfortable, they need to be longer and be able to hold a laptop. I got the messenger bags (not day bags) in navy and charcoal. They would fit a netbook, but not as useful as a carryall/daybag. A bit too small for me. I'm thinking of selling them to my female friends who liked them (kind of a first clue that it's not masculine enough, at least for my tastes).