• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation for Shoe Brand with Budget

hxh_killua

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to know which brands I should be considering with a budget of $300. I've only worn Aldos but I think it's time to purchase quality shoes that actually last and radiate elegance.

On a related note, is there is list that gives of brands one should consider based on budget thresholds or ranking of brands based on quality? I'm just trying to get the best bang for the buck without breaking a leg, so to speak.

Thanks.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For 300, Alden Alden Alden.
Allen Edmonds could be fine too.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Listen well to this advice. Scour B&S and so on and Ebay - you can do much better there than retail sometimes.

If you know your size and are comfortable buying slightly used shoes, B&S sub-forum is your best option.

http://www.styleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Amazing deals could be scored. Recently, I bought 2 pairs of barely worn shoes of excellent quality for roughly $300.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely, 300 in the B&S can grab some fantastic shoes. Just lurk and wait.

Stedye

Reaction score
I agree on Allen - Edmonds. Also look at Johnston-Murphy and perhaps you might find a pair of Salvatore Ferragamo or Bruno Magli in that price range. You can find some excellent quality shoes at
Nordstom off the Rack, Saks OFF Fifth and Nieman-Marcus Last Call(All Outlet store)...Go to there
website to see if alocation is near you. If you have patience and look with diligence for your size you
may find a great buy...I know I have over the past decade.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a small budget don't buy anything new, it's horrible value. Find barely used vintage florsheim or hanover, even for shell you still pay $ 150 or less. For pebble grain $ 75 or less. This is assuming you want a ptb or longwing. Either way don't go buy new anything if you want value. By shoes with only cosmetic wear....much better

hxh_killua

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt response, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

However, one of the problems I have is that I live in Toronto and it is sort of regarded as a black hole for high end leather shoes. Harry Rosen carries a limited selection of Allen Edmonds, in which I can try sizes, but that is about it unfortunately.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get some Allen Edmonds off SF or eBay. You will pay less than $300.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stedye
I agree on Allen - Edmonds. Also look at Johnston-Murphy and perhaps you might find a pair of Salvatore Ferragamo or Bruno Magli in that price range. You can find some excellent quality shoes at
Nordstom off the Rack, Saks OFF Fifth and Nieman-Marcus Last Call(All Outlet store)...Go to there
website to see if alocation is near you. If you have patience and look with diligence for your size you
may find a great buy...I know I have over the past decade.

Disagree on that.

Originally Posted by makewayhomer
With a small budget don't buy anything new, it's horrible value. Find barely used vintage florsheim or hanover, even for shell you still pay $ 150 or less. For pebble grain $ 75 or less. This is assuming you want a ptb or longwing. Either way don't go buy new anything if you want value. By shoes with only cosmetic wear....much better

Disagree with that as well. Besides, not everyone is comfortable putting their feet in someone else's stinky shoe.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Disagree on that. Disagree with that as well. Besides, not everyone is comfortable putting their feet in someone else's stinky shoe.
I don't think anyone is comfortable with that. when I buy used, I buy shoes that have been "barely worn". there is a huge difference between something worn 5 times and something worn 100 times. and a huge price difference between brand new and worn once. but you are effectively buying the same thing. NOS Shell Cordovan Hanover/Florsheim etc sell for $350 ish + on ebay or here if you can ever find them. barely used (say worn < 10 times) they sell for $100 - $150. ditto for AE Shell. retails at $525 new. worn literally 3 times, they most they are ever worth is $250, usually more like $100 - $200. I've bought 1 Florsheim longwing in shell, 1 AE saddle shoe in shell, and 1 AE LHS in shell for a grand total of $400. all in normal sizes, they had each been worn less than 10 times and were in mint condition. that is value imo. I paid $320 for a brand new pair of RM Williams boots and feel pretty stupid about it now. they are great shoes, but buying barely used presents amazing value, you can buy much nicer stuff at the same price point as new. the second I wore the RM's they were probably worth $150. ouch.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WBaker
Definitely, 300 in the B&S can grab some fantastic shoes. Just lurk and wait.

+1

-LR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads