• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation for carry-on luggage

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Domestics are hardly a pleasure, but International flights out of NY and Philly have been a ******* disaster lately.

roykov

Reaction score
Depending if you have money, I myself have a Louis Vuitton Softsided Utah bag and I LOVE it!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to stay stylish when traveling, but any trip over 3 days gets inordinately inconvenient with a heavy, nice-looking traditional bag. This is exacerbated by the fact that as a SFer, I almost always take an extra pair of shoes. If there were a practical way to do it I would love to carry a SAB gladstone style, but it would weigh a ton fully laden. I no longer see the logic in justifying the extra weight.

I had been using an 11 lb kirkland rolling bag (22") for years, I got tired of how heavy it was and how little capacity it actually had, even though it was extremely well made. And half the time it gets "side-checked" when flying on the smaller planes, causing delays. I don't use it now except for car trips.

These days I have been convinced to use convertible backpacks. They are basically like carrying a 22" roller bag on your back, but minus the 8 lbs or so wasted on the rolling hardware.

However, I might be convinced by the newer generation of superlightweight rollers, for example this weighs 5 lbs:

355001110_400_FRONT.jpg

lfl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Briggs & Riley due to great durability and impeccable services. No Contest.

+1

mike.lawrence

Reaction score
Thanks for the amazing response, guys. My friend was right. This is an ideal forum to do some research on luggage. Based on your responses, I short listed a few products from Briggs and Riley, Tumi, Swiss Army, and Samsonite. I had to put aside Louis Vuitton because it's way too expensive. The Skyroller and the Kirkland rolling backpack are interesting options, but I am the kind of guy who prefers pulling bags rather than carrying them! Based on factors like price, design, durability, and warranty - I would say the final battle is between this Briggs and Riley 21" carry-on expandable and this 22" carry-on from Tumi. Since there is an overwhelming majority in favor of Briggs and Riley, I am leaning towards the former. What do you guys think? Which one should I buy?

em36

Reaction score
Have a look at Rimowa. Cabin-trolleys.

chas

Reaction score
I went through this whole thing 6 months ago. I ended up with Boyt Luggage. Mainly because of the lifetime warranty and fair price.

brescd01

Reaction score
I just travelled Philadelphia-Paris. It was bad. I admired only one person's luggage, a man with a black roller with subtle orange highlights, it was the only one that looked nice. I think the durability issue is bogus, my Land's End luggage (a lot less expensive than Tumi, etc) is going strong after two decades of international travel. I don't think it is so fabulous, I am just saying that the whole luggage deal is a bit of a scam, particularly now that international travel has become so insufferable. And taking carry-on luggage is just begging for punishment. I say check everything. I am waiting for the day carry-on luggage is banned, and this is a turn-around for me, I use to swear by it.

Blake686

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Briggs & Riley due to great durability and impeccable services. No Contest.
+1, can't go wrong with Briggs & Riley, built like a tank

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brescd01
I am waiting for the day carry-on luggage is banned, and this is a turn-around for me, I use to swear by it.
I fear that it'll be happening, soon.

gilwood

Reaction score
I posted awhile back about how versatile the Harmann Vertical Satchel was. It is now my carry-on underseat bag, gym bag, overnight bag, etc. Get a 20" rolling suitcase with it and you're set!

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I travel about 40 weeks of the year (domestic US primarily) and have used Tumi and Victoriox (Swiss Army). I think Tumi is a bit sturdier, but both are good. Take my advice and go for form over function (or style) with this. If you are taking multiple trips per week any poorly made luggage will begin to fall apart within a year. The wheels will begin to stick or squeak, the pull bar will get lose, the zippers will break. Trust me, this is from experience. Even if you carry on and are very careful there is a lot of wear and tear.

As for carry on versus checking - always carry on if you can. Checking luggage adds close to half an hour per trip. For you that could be two hours per week. That's 100 hours per year. Four days of your life that you will not get back spent standing around watching a luggage carousel. When they change the rules about carry ons - adapt to it. It's worth it.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is the ultimate carry-on right here:

tristarmain.jpg

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JayJay..flights from Canada into USA is also affected. btw...what do you all think of the new 'security' scanning.
rapi_scan_lg.jpg
6a00d83451af9f69e20120a7a3367c970b-500wi
xray-cp-RTR1PPI1.jpg
Should we not be protesting this? Or should we just thank our loving governments for taking all our freedoms and privacy to keep us 'safe' from the 'evil terrorists'. I've stopped flying altogether as my statement on all this chaos. PS-ADMIN...Please PM me if these images are against policy and I will immediately edit out. No offence to the forum is intended.

dshreter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
this is the ultimate carry-on right here:

tristarmain.jpg

+1 on Tom Bihn. I've got this same bag but in black and absolutely love it. It's not for everyone though, it's kinda tiny, but it's awesome for the partial week business traveler.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads