• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation for black suit needed, £900 budget

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My cousin is getting married later this year and I'm to be his best man. I've been told I have to wear a black suit (yes, black, no, not a tuxedo. I triple checked.) for this, so I'd love to get some recommendations.

I'm very slim, with a 35" chest and 29" waist, with fairly broad shoulders for my frame. I'm also pretty damned short at 5'5, so I need something that plays to my strengths - slim, broad shoulders.

Anyone have any recommendations as far as brands to check out? I live in London so I've got a wide selection available, and can find quality tailors nearby for alterations.

I'm looking to spend up to £900, but can go up to £1k for something particularly nice.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure that £900 will be able to get me a mtm or bespoke suit in London, and I'm not 100% sure that they'd be able to get it done in the time frame that I need.

I do live about 20 minutes away from a Suit Supply store, so could potentially look into their mtm service, I've read fairly good things about them.

What's George's?

Macallan

Reaction score
Do a search for Cad & Dandy, Graham Browne, etc and from the threads you will find many options in London (mtm bespoke) that are within your budget.

What is your time frame?

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions, I'll check those out.

Wedding is in early October, so ideally I'd like to have it in my hands a few weeks beforehand, preferably a month beforehand so I don't have to worry too much about it.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried on stuff from Suit Supply in the past and it just didn't fit quite right, I'd be tempted by something mtm from them but RTW won't cut it. I've already got some Church's so not worried on the shoe front.

Macallan

Reaction score
October is enough time for most tailors, ideally order the suit by the end of next month (depending on the tailor); this will allow you to wear the suit a few times before the wedding.

If you go mtm, the process will be shorter.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up going to SuitSupply last weekend and getting an appointment with one of their tailors after having a chat with sales staff.

Saw the tailor this past Saturday, who seemed to really understand what I was after, so I'm going that route. I've been told the suit should be ready by the end of June, but will update with progress as and when I hear anything.

Thanks for your help everyone!

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Small update. I went for a second fitting yesterday, the jacket fits perfectly but the trousers are looking a little sloppy. They're making a few alterations which should be ready for tomorrow.

I'll be posting pics once it's all finished.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads