• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend some studio monitors for me

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to spend under $500 for some studio reference monitors (powered) and need it shipped to Santiago, Chile. As a classical musician I prefer studio reference monitors to get the pure quality of music. I had some M Audio AV40 speakers for years in USA which were nice considering the price I paid for them. I'm looking to step up my game a bit. I'm using some really crappy speakers now with such a heavy low end I really can't stand it.

Are the Yamaha HS50M or HS80M a good choice?

Last edited:

heartworm

Reaction score
I have Tascam VL-X5's and I'm very happy with them. They were $600 for a pair, but I see now that they're discontinued. Maybe they have some similar model out as a replacement?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will look into them.

As for the Yamaha HS80M, I think it's a no go. Shipping to Chile raises the cost sky high and the only place I saw selling them in Chile have them sold for over a grand, twice as much as the US price. I still need to find good audio stores in town.

Last edited:

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asked around on a Chile hifi forum and they recommended the following:

Adam A3x for 356,000CLP
Audioengine 5 for 199990CLP

Since the exchange rate to USD sucks, and I get paid in CLP, it's more fair to look at the prices as about $715 for the Adam and $400 for the Audioengine. Prices aren't too bad compared to how much they are in the US. Any ideas?

poissa

Reaction score
musicguy,

The breadth of experience on this board in most cases is not as high as that at www.head-fi.org. It's the music community I've come to love when I'm seeking new equipment, checking out gear, or want to swap. I've tried many headphones well below and above your price range. I don't feel comfortable making suggestions at your price point. If you do choose to buy something and find the US to be less expensive- I'm happy to proxy for you.

Now if you want to discuss amps or DACs ...

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

musicguy,

The breadth of experience on this board in most cases is not as high as that at www.head-fi.org. It's the music community I've come to love when I'm seeking new equipment, checking out gear, or want to swap. I've tried many headphones well below and above your price range. I don't feel comfortable making suggestions at your price point. If you do choose to buy something and find the US to be less expensive- I'm happy to proxy for you.

Now if you want to discuss amps or DACs ...

Thanks for the advice man... but it seems head-fi is really mainly for headphones.

Edit: joined and posted a thread... we'll see.

Last edited:

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late reply... but I just got a pair of Adam A3X. Holy crap they're awesome.. And it's insane at how much sound they can put out considering how small they are!

The best was hearing Stevie playing the harmonica at the end of For Once In My Life. When he hits that highest note it's so damn amazing. The tweeters are amazing.

I might splurge for the Sub7 in the future just to get that thumping bass.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads