1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend some great bar soaps!

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by turboman808, May 23, 2011.

1. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

I know I know I am bringing this back from the dead. Been trying alot of different soaps over the last year. Still have to say Caswell Black Onyx is my favorite. Slightly soothing but the aroma is out of this world.

I think someone at some point suggested Herban Cowboy which is far and away the most god awful one I tried. Dried out my skin and it was just an overpowering smell.

One of the more interesting ones I have tried lately I got at Wholefoods and was called African Black Soap. Didn't really have any odor but the feel and the way it left your skin was just terrific. I would highly recommend this one!!!

I never got around to using Dr Bronners. I just didn't like the smell. I guess there are very few I actually enjoy the aroma.

Anyways I never got around to trying any Molton Brown products. I just got finished ordering a couple of their soaps and hope to find something I like.

Later

2. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I got some Aesop soap. The bar is huge. Chopped it in half, will take a few showers until the sharpness edges out i guess. smell is pretty nice, I haven't showered with it. Bergamont Rind, Ylang Ylang and Tahitian lime. smell is great, something you would find in a high end, modern/minimalist hotel. we'll see how it holds up to a bunch of showers.

[​IMG]

also picked up the Baxter x Saturday Surf bar soap ("Atlantic") but it'll be a while until I get to try it out.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  3. whochrisliu

whochrisliu Well-Known Member

Anyone tried African Black Soap? I bought some on Amazon, suppose to do a whole bunch of great stuff, but IMO its just a soap. Good thing about it is that it lathers very easily. There is ash in there also so you dont need to use a scrub to exfoliate your skin your hand will do. After 3 bars I have gone back to using Pre De Provence soap though, they smell great.

[​IMG]
    Wouldent you want to wash yourself with a brown soap called DuDu?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  4. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

The aesop actually doesn't have much of a smell. I like the way it feels in the shower though, not slimy, very little sud action. very clean.

5. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I bought a bar of Claus Porto after reading about them in the April Monocle magazine. Probably going to be a while until I actually use it though as this aesop is going to last a while. Its a big bar and expensive at $17 (although much cheaper than soaps from fragrance houses).

this is the one, I bought it locally though at a specialty wine/soap/etc store:

http://www.amazon.com/Claus-Porto-Acacia-Tuberose-12-34/dp/B0013G6XMY

6. delilahsayshey

delilahsayshey Member

i really love lanolin Ägg-Tväl Swedish egg white soap for my face. it's about as great as it is unpronounceable. kind of works like the classic egg white treatment for cleaning out and tightening pores.

7. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    This one is great. Really helps reduce ingrown hairs.

[​IMG]

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

This brand looks gimmicky but I've been using their soaps through three different bars in a row and have tried four in total:

Filthy Farm Girl Soap

The "Hawaiian Vanilla" uses vanilla obtained from the only vanilla farm in the united states, located on the Big Island. Their "Filthy Pussy", with rose and mint, is my favorite but the "Filthy Ass" with tuberose and rosewood is great as well. Once again, their schtick is overdone but their product is very high quality and the bars are very large and the smell of each soap is created with a light hand.

9. StylinGuy

StylinGuy Well-Known Member

10. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

That claus porto soap is really awesome btw. its huge though but really high quality and the fragrance is great.

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

A buddy of mine snagged some Le Labo Rose 31 soap from a hotel in New York. :slayer: