Recommend one-piece speakers like the B&W Zepplin or Geneva speakers

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by yfyf, Dec 14, 2009.

1. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

I'm moving into a new office and am choosing an appropriate audio system for it. The room is quite small (4 x 3m) and a bit weirdly shaped and I'll be working in different parts of the room a lot, so no point in trying to worry about positioning for sound stage. I just want something that fills the room. The B&W Zepplin and the Geneva Sound Systems seem like pretty good choices but I was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations?

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I hear good things about Bose.

3. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I have the Chestnut Hill GEORGE and frankly, I love it. It will definitely fill the room, it is a one piece system, and you can put it in one corner and control the music from your desk with the remote (and the extra charger for the remote that comes with it). It costs less than the Zeppelin, and (this is subjective; YMMV) sounds better imo. If I were you, I would listen to them each and see which you like the best. GEORGE was an excellent choice for me, and given the $499 price tag, not too bad for the price. The only real issues I could find is that it takes some time to sync the remote with your iPod... and also that it really only works if you have an iPod. It does have an auxiliary input, but it defeats the purpose of having a remote to control your music if you have to change the music on your Zune/Zen/whatever. I use it with my iPod classic (and leave it on there all the time), and GEORGE treats me well. But that's just my $.02. Good luck on the decision, and congratulations on the move!

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

[​IMG]

5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like my Tivoli Model One radio at home. They also make one-piece systems I think.

[​IMG]

For a cheapo iPod solution, this InMotion iM7? gizmo fillls up my work studio.

[​IMG]

6. dv3

dv3 Senior member

[​IMG]

+1, and I own the Bose iPod speakers. They aren't terrible and work fine (for being iPod speakers) at a reasonable volume in a single room, but don't expect much more out of them. Bose speakers are best described by a play on their own motto: "better sound through marketing."

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I like my Tivoli Model One radio at home. They also make one-piece systems I think.

[​IMG]

For a cheapo iPod solution, this InMotion iM7? gizmo fillls up my work studio.

[​IMG]

These are really amazing ipod powered speakers:

http://www.audioengineusa.com/a2_home.php

8. dave

dave Senior member

If you like the B&W sound (and I do) I would just go ahead with the Zeppelin. I have a set of LM01s in my "home theater" set up and I wouldn't replace them for anything else I've listened to in the price range.

9. spudnik99

spudnik99 Senior member

Amped Docking station + Legacy Audio Studio, get a used pair from www.audiogon.com or eBay.

10. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

This should work. It's not quite one piece, but it's close enough! I hope you have a secure lock on your office door.

[​IMG]

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

This should work. It's not quite one piece, but it's close enough! I hope you have a secure lock on your office door.

[​IMG]

How much does that cost?

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The Geneva Sound System is really intriguing. Has anyone listened to it?

13. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

How much does that cost?

msrp is ~7500 iirc.

14. A Y

A Y Senior member

msrp is ~7500 iirc.

Holy crap! If you're going to pay that much, you can easily do much better. Here are two examples:

1. Aerial 5Bs (or other favorite monitor), passive attenuator, decent solid state amp(used Acurus, Aragon, older Krell KSAs, Parasound, or even a favorite pro-audio amp)

2. Active monitor (like ATC), passive attenuator.

There is no way Mac can produce a speaker that's even close in quality to good companies that specialize in speakers. Either path will also be significantly cheaper.

--Andre

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I wonder what a pair of the iconic Rogers monitors would sound with an iPod.