• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me the best white dress shirt for interviews

citizenshame

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have about $100 I'd like to spend on a nice dress shirt. The most I've spent on dress shirts in the past has been about $50 bucks, so I really don't have an idea what's out there that's better quality or where to find it.

Can anyone recommend particular brands, places to look, and marks of quality to look for in a shirt? I have a slim, muscular build, so I'll be looking for a shirt that fits that type of body frame well.

Does brooks brothers make any slim fit stuff?

Advice very much appreciated....

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just get a broadcloth button down white from lands end or BB. get the simplest good quality white shirt you can

chronic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by citizenshame
Does brooks brothers make any slim fit stuff?
Yes they do, the tag on the inside is a different color (red or blue, I forget) edit: the font on the tag

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty simple really -- the one that fits you the best.

No one can make specific recommendations as what works for someone else may not work for you. First choice would be MTM, but if time and budget do not allow shop OTR. Try on as many brands as possible and go with the best fit within your budget.

Keep in mind when wearing a suit, the most obvious fit issues will be 1) the collar, and 2) cuff length (show 1/2 - 3/4" beyond suit cuffs). Fabric and construction will most likely go unnoticed. Safe colors are usually white or blue, depending upon your suit and tie.

Hope this helps,

Twotone

Studio27

Reaction score
BR slim fits worked fairly well for me. The quality isn't quite as high as some of the shirts on here, but the cut was fine without tailoring for me and it'll do in a pinch.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
If there's a Zara around you, another good option. Try to get the royal oxford weaves.

cvac

Reaction score
You don't need to spend $100 on a white interview shirt. If you already have one in good condition, make sure it is clean and pressed on the day of the interview. Wear a point collar or a slight spread. No buttondowns, tab collars, etc. If you are very concerned about your appearance, look for the nicest white shirt you can find in your size at Marshalls/Filenes/TJ Maxx/Nordstrom Rack/etc for around $30-60, then take it to a tailor to have it fitted to your body. Most Brooks shirts are made in Malaysia. For $80 a pop, they should be U.S. made. I can't see how Brooks would be a good value unless you get a near-perfect off the rack fit from them.

jderickson

Reaction score
It's too easy to say that for xx dollars, something should be U.S. made. I agree that I'd prefer all Brooks Brothers shirts were U.S. made, but the cost would be quite high.

Back up the cost and see: $80 retail is $32 wholesale to the store is $16 cost of materials and labor (rough estimates based on more-or-less standard percentages in the business) . . .

It's likely impossible to get a single-needle-stitched shirt in good fabric made for $16 with U.S. union labor before it goes through the distribution chain.

Sorry for this diversion. I agree with others who have said that good fit and tidy details are the priority in this case, not necessarily seeking the best-made shirt for the money.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
Wear a point collar or a slight spread. No buttondowns, tab collars, etc.

Indeed. I was going to say just that, until I saw your post.

Seriously, though, every time I see someone wearing a tie and a suit with a button-down collar, I cringe.

This is particularly bad in the midwest and the south, where people somehow think it's perfectly acceptable to do so.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Make sure that the shirt is all cotton. No synthetics or blends.

cvac

Reaction score
Actually J.Press shirts are U.S. made, at least the ones I have (5 of them) and the price is about the same as Brooks.

Gitman, O'Connell's, and some Kenneth Gordon shirts are U.S. made and about the price is about the same as Brooks.

All these shirts are the same quality if not higher quality than Brooks as far as I know. I think Brooks puts too much money into fancy stores and store displays instead of the quality of their merch, but that's just my opinion. There is no way I'm paying $80 for a shirt made in Malaysia, especially for Brooks, whose shirts are nothing special as far as I can tell.

Regardless, the OP can probably do better for the same or less money. And like I said, no need to buy high priced shirts for an interview. A 100% cotton shirt from say, LandsEnd that cost $30 will get the job done just fine and will look good, at least the "must iron" ones. I would avoid non-iron anything, personally.

Originally Posted by jderickson
It's too easy to say that for xx dollars, something should be U.S. made. I agree that I'd prefer all Brooks Brothers shirts were U.S. made, but the cost would be quite high.

Back up the cost and see: $80 retail is $32 wholesale to the store is $16 cost of materials and labor (rough estimates based on more-or-less standard percentages in the business) . . .

It's likely impossible to get a single-needle-stitched shirt in good fabric made for $16 with U.S. union labor before it goes through the distribution chain.

Sorry for this diversion. I agree with others who have said that good fit and tidy details are the priority in this case, not necessarily seeking the best-made shirt for the money.

cvac

Reaction score
For people who prefer it for day in day out office wear, I think it is fine, so long as your coworkers and supervisors are also wearing BD collars with suits. However, I don't think it is appropriate for an interview at all, but that's just my personal opinion based on traditional notions of what should be worn at an interview.

Interviews are more formal so a point collar or slight spread, which are more formal are better for an interview. That will be the safest option anyway.

Originally Posted by Metlin
Seriously, though, every time I see someone wearing a tie and a suit with a button-down collar, I cringe.

This is particularly bad in the midwest and the south, where people somehow think it's perfectly acceptable to do so.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin

Bunch of hicks.

cary-grant.jpg

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a BB white slim shirt just for this purpose (interviewing) and found the sleeves to be very long.

Reaction score
Jos. A Bank Tailored Fit Traveler Shirt. $75 and will NEVER need ironing. Comes out of the drier looking pressed. Simply amazing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads