• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me the best waterproof dress boots that you can

stylemeup

Reaction score
I need some waterproof dress boots that can stand up to being worn heavy snow and slush.

I'd prefer them to not have a super flat toe that makes it looks like a duck's feet or something, which seems to be the style these days. I hate how that looks, and I like space in my toes.

I hate the kind that have gashes in the side of the leather. Example of what I mean by this is seen here:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/48286073/c/72.html

After scouring the stores in Toronto for months the best thing I was able to find that was similar to what I want was this:

http://www.hushpuppies.ca/en-CA/Shop...35999&GNavID=M

So I bought them. But whenever I wear them, I end up getting huge pasty black/blue stains all over my socks. I RMAed those ones so I'll hopefully get my money back.

I want the new pair to not stain my socks.

I was thinking to maybe buy them from Plal since I'm not gonna find what I want in my own city. Does Plal have some boots that fit what I'm asking for? If not, what sites will have it?

What is the best pair of water proof dress boots you could recommend for me based on all these criteria?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't wear nice boots in heavy snow and slush.

You need waterproof leather + gore-tex membrane. Go to a hunting boot site like Cabela's.

I'm wearing my Cabelas boots right now. My Crockett and Jones are relaxing at home, on a shelf, in the box, dry.

stylemeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Transporter
Try searching Plal for the Crockett & Jones Snowden

http://www.shoes.shoppingsection.co....Category_Code=

This is another site but a better picture than Plal. I'd get a pair if they came in my size but they stop at UK12 and I need a UK13.

It seems like those don't come in black, is there a reason for that?

And they come up a bit higher on the leg then I would find ideal.

Are there other high-end brands that sell waterproof dress boots too?

But my biggest problem of all is knowing the correct sizings. Where in Toronto can I go to try on C&J shoes? What are all the different last numbers that I must be sure to try on?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It only comes in brown because it's a "country" shoe (http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/co...hoescoll.html), and not a city shoe. I think in the UK, black shoes are largely worn for work/business and brown shoes strictly for "country" pursuits and more casual activities. I've found that all the C&J shoes and boots are reasonably waterproof and the leather holds up well against the wet and icy slush. Not surprising given the weather here in the UK, where it rains in every month of the year. I'd just take a look at the C&J catalog for their boots (http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/me...scollect.html), and pick a pair that you like. Generally, the models with double leather soles, danite soles or storm welts should hold out against the wet. I often add my own waterproofing by using the NikWax waterproofing fluid. Haven't ever had my feet get wet, and I haven't had to use those ugly overshoe things, either.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stylemeup

Reaction score
I have no idea what size I am. All I know is I take size 9.5 US in running shoes. I don't know where in Toronto I'd go to find my proper C&J size. Where would you guys recommend I go to find that out?

Are the the dainite soles leather or rubber (I like the Coniston the best)? Because if I buy a leather one I'd probably have to have a local cobbler topy it right away so it doesn't get fubared...but would that affect the waterproofing property of it?

Does Plal sell that NikWax you are talking about or if not where would I buy that from?

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
I have no idea what size I am. All I know is I take size 9.5 US in running shoes. I don't know where in Toronto I'd go to find my proper C&J size. Where would you guys recommend I go to find that out?

Are the the dainite soles leather or rubber (I like the Coniston the best)? Because if I buy a leather one I'd probably have to have a local cobbler topy it right away so it doesn't get fubared...but would that affect the waterproofing property of it?

Does Plal sell that NikWax you are talking about or if not where would I buy that from?

Dainite soles are rubber.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd forgotten than you like to be spoon fed.
plain.gif
Try the search function for the different C&J lasts. C&J UK sizes are usually 0.5 size less than your US size.

Danite = type of rubber

NikWax is a company that makes waterproofing agents. Try looking in your local outdoor or shoe stores, or try Google.

stylemeup

Reaction score
Would it be safe for me to order a Coniston in size 9 and have a very good chance that's gonna fit me?

Or do I need to take some more drastic measures first by going to a shoe store in Toronto where I live (still no idea where to go or what to try on if I have to do that.)

How come it only lists the Coniston as "Fitting E", and "last 325"? Is that something I need worry about, or no?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Get the LLCarimina bal boot in black shell.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The English E is usually an American D.

Manton, is the LL boot still available? Did you ever order one? In the meantime, I've picked up three other winter boots, so the Carmina boot is on hold again.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I believe it is still available but I did not order it. I do want it. I just can't justify it in these troubled times, when I already have four pairs of boots. Some day, I hope.

stylemeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
The English E is usually an American D.

I never had shoe labelled size D shoe before. What do running shoes come in in North America, size D?

Does Coniston only come in size E?

Get the LLCarimina bal boot in black shell.
I'm trying to figure out what you are talking about but I'm having a real hard time doing that.

Is there a link to what you are talking about and a link to where I buy that from at the best price?

Doc4

Reaction score

I am unaware of any Canadian C&J retail store.

Dainite is rubber, but a hard rubber that you won't like for walking in snow and ice. I have a pair of shoes with dainite soles, so I know whereof I speak. Certainly don't wear leather soles ... they have zero grip, and will get wet and ... as you so rightly say ... fubared.

The best soles I have found for winter wear are Vibram "gumlite" lug soles, so if you can get your cobbler to put those on a pair of otherwise-good boots, you are laughing!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads