• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me the best shaving brush?

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
Brand, make, and where I could find one. This will be my cousin's late Christmas present. The SOB didn't inform me until yesterday that he'll drive down.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best is the silver tip badger brush. Brands are all pretty similiar IMO but I do like Art of Shaving products.

huy

Reaction score

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
That Rooney is $$$$. My budget was like $80 and under for something like this.

Originally Posted by huy
One of the best you can buy is a Rooney. It is very dense but at the same time very soft.

Classic Shaving on the west coast: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...30/2184242.htm

Or Vintage Blades on the east coast: http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vsho...me.php?cat=156

If you get it shipped by USPS it will most likely come on time for xmas

If you don't want to buy online your options are limited to Crabtree & Evelyn and Art of Shaving in the malls.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
C&E makes good brushes at reasonable prices. I've also been happy with my Edwin Jagger Brushes as well (on clearance). I gave away a Shavemac brush though - well made but too scritchy for my taste.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Plisson--$800 shaving brushes.

I have a German one that is equivalent in quality to the Plissons.

Don't the Plissons have quality-control problems -- like shedding?

Berticus

Reaction score
Vulfix is a good starting brand. Simpsons/Rooney/Plissons if you're more experienced, I would think. My first brush, and currently only brush, is a Vulfix #376. It's very soft and holds quite a large amount. I'm thinking about getting another brush soon, either a Simpsons or Rooney.

The type of brush you want depends on the feel you want from it. Some people aren't really into the soft bristles and opt for a best or pure badger brush. I actually know a couple of people who own and use a hog brush. Not quite sure what they see in those.

atomicranch

Reaction score
I've been happy with my Crabtree & Evelyn "Best Badger" brush. A good bargain at $35.

Looks like it's out of stock atm, but C&E has some other brushes for 20% off.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
Good suggestion. Thanks. I love others as well but too much for a damn shaving brush.

Originally Posted by atomicranch
I've been happy with my Crabtree & Evelyn "Best Badger" brush. A good bargain at $35.

Looks like it's out of stock atm, but C&E has some other brushes for 20% off.

indy116

Reaction score
The C&E BBB and a tub of their shaving cream would make for a great gift!
smile.gif

chang

Reaction score
I'm also a big fan of Vulfix. I use their travel brush and it's held up very well despite my less than stellar treatment of it. There have been quite a few times where I've had to pack it up into its container while still damp, and I don't really suspend it hairs down like it should be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads