• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me some jeans (details inside) + Denim tailoring in NYC?

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to 45RPM and BiG in soho yesterday in what was my first research foray into the world of premium denim. Based on prior research, I tried out the soras at R and the 5000 and 500 samurais at BiG. all fit slightly hip hop baggy all throughout the lower leg, even with it cuffed (and yes, I realize that you lose about a half inch after a soak/wash, etc.,). Afterwards, walked over to Uniqlo to try on their slim straights. They fit like tights, (I could feel a weird tension when bending my knee. Mind blowing!) and this is also definitely not what I'm looking for. Uniqlo straight regular were a bit closer to what I'm trying to achieve, but I want a more premium product.

So, what I'm asking is. What's a good straight leg, lower rise jean that would fit my needs? I wear a larger size than most on this board (34) so the leg widths get really out of wack in some models that fit smaller people really well. My price range is in the $300 mark. Alternatively I could just buy some jeans and get them tapered, which is what I'm considering doing.

What I had in mind is: 5ep Bootcuts modified to a straight? What i want to end up with is regular fit thigh and straight bottom leg.

What tailor in NYC is tried and true for jeans tailoring. A few asian tailor places nearby my place in brooklyn said that they'd be able to do it, but I'm not sure if I want to put my $300 jeans in the hands of some random people , especially with the language barrier. Another recomendation was to go to a department store, which also sounds risky to me. Advice?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you taken a look at the Kicking Mule 1980?

rellik

Reaction score
what kind of tailoring are you looking for?

BiG does chainstiching to shorten inseam, id trust em with good jeans
wink.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get 5EP LDBs and don't bother with tapering them, they're basically straight anyways.

72778809cp5.jpg

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree on the 5EP, I really love mine. I'd also consider the Acne Mic and Earnest Sewn Fulton (though I like the former two better than these). APC Rescue might be what you're looking for, but I've never tried these. Nudie Average Joe or Straight Sven would also fit the bill nicely.

razuel

Reaction score
You look like you're about to kick some ass with those fists drizzt.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Agree on the 5EP, I really love mine. I'd also consider the Acne Mic and Earnest Sewn Fulton (though I like the former two better than these). APC Rescue might be what you're looking for, but I've never tried these. Nudie Average Joe or Straight Sven would also fit the bill nicely.

SS or AJ might work, Rescue has pretty high rise (11.5" or so) and isn't slim through the leg at all. It's a pretty relaxed jean.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't like nudies. I have to admit it's the stitching, and it really bothers me for some reason I can't put my finger on.

I looked at APC rescues but 11.5+ rise is bleh. I got the same effect when trying on the soras.

5ep looks pretty straight in that picture, and that's pretty close to the fit/look I'm trying to achieve, but when I'm wearing lower cut sneakers and not boots I might get that effect that makes the sneakers look like they're being eaten by the jeans. I figured straightening them or reducing the Bootcut would remove this effect, however I must first try them on before I make judgment.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
I really don't like nudies. I have to admit it's the stitching, and it really bothers me for some reason I can't put my finger on.

I looked at APC rescues but 11.5+ rise is bleh. I got the same effect when trying on the soras.

5ep looks pretty straight in that picture, and that's pretty close to the fit/look I'm trying to achieve, but when I'm wearing lower cut sneakers and not boots I might get that effect that makes the sneakers look like they're being eaten by the jeans. I figured straightening them or reducing the Bootcut would remove this effect, however I must first try them on before I make judgment.

I'd seriously consider the Acnes too. No branding at all, and they are about the straightest jean I've ever owned. Rise is even a bit lower than the 5EPs.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper

I'd try on the LDBs rigid, probably in size 34 if you can find it and if you wear a true 36. I'll see if I have some more pictures of them with sneakers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads