• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me some headphones

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The electrostatic Senns are kind of an acquired taste, especially with respect to the lack of body, which the 580/600/650s have in spades, and perhaps too much for some tastes. I have a pair of baby Orpheus (HE60 + HEV70) for which I would someday like to get a tube amp to perhaps solve the body issue, but the idea of putting 600V across my head with some random DIY person's design is not appealing.

If you want electrostatic cans, the Stax sound is a bit closer to mainstream stuff, but still with that electrostatic sound.

--Andre

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have ath-w5000 with x-can v8,

i recommend the x-can v8-- it is a tube amp with a digital audio converter in one small compact package that sits nicely on the desk, and i've heard good things about it with denon d2000/5000/7000

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
can you elaborate on listening to music with a dvd player? i've heard of this... i'm interested. especially the mahler part
bounce2.gif

It has a laser, it reads the disk. It has a DAC, it converts it to audio. (Or it has a digital output, and you use a DAC on a component upstream.) I can't tell you the last time I actually spun a digital disk for the purpose of listening to music, though. For me, it's all Apple Lossless via my music server and Apple Airport Express at home, and iPod at AAC160 in the car. Last time I bought a CD in a store, which was In Rainbows, to give you an idea of how long ago it was (usually I go through Amazon) I literally ripped it in my car on my MacBook and sync'ed my iPod. And fair point, Andre, on the occasionally excessive "body" of the Senn 580/etc. line. I doubt a tube amp would improve things any, especially given that the Orpheus amp is tubed. An EQ seems a likelier route.

mink31

Reaction score
Allow me to put in a humble word for the Koss PortaPros:
portapro.jpg

Best $40 I've ever spent + lifetime warranty.

Bonus points for the ironic '80s look (if you're going for that).

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31
Allow me to put in a humble word for the Koss PortaPros:
portapro.jpg

Best $40 I've ever spent + lifetime warranty.

That series of Koss is really quite good. I've owned a number of them, basically all of the earclip models that use those drivers (KSC-35, KSC-50, KSC-75), and used to use them for working out and such. Durability was never a strong suit, but they're so cheap that who cares?

I did write "used to," though. Of late, my workout headphones have been Senn PMX100's, which sound quite similar and have much higher build quality.

youngScholar

Reaction score
Portable use: Senn HD280 Pro. I always just wrap the cord around my neck or hang it off my shoulders.

Home use: Grado SR225. I would never take these outside due to the fact that they are both expensive, "open" headphones. Great bass.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I've heard good things about the new iPod headphones. Has anyone tried them?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
And fair point, Andre, on the occasionally excessive "body" of the Senn 580/etc. line. I doubt a tube amp would improve things any, especially given that the Orpheus amp is tubed. An EQ seems a likelier route.

You're probably right, but I can't help but wonder.
smile.gif
I have a HeadRoom Supreme from the early 90s when they were still putting headphone-specific EQ in them, and it makes every headphone sound like the greatest headphones ever.

--Andre

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
That HeadRoom Supreme sounds like fun. Wish they still did that. It would give me a reason to upgrade from my ca. 1999 Total AirHead.

And speaking of "body" in headphones, I thought the '580s had a lot, but my new Denon AH-D2000's are absolutely spanking 'em in that regard. (My IEM's were getting uncomfortable for library sessions, so I needed some decent closed cans.) They're very smooth through the midbass and lower mids, maybe even a touch more so than the 580s, but oh my there are a lot of those frequencies there. So far I really like them, but I wonder what I'll think of them after using them to study for 6 hours a day for a month...

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried either the Denon AH-D5000 or AH-D7000? How do they compare to these?
f_audiotechnica_athw5000.jpg

taktikz

Reaction score
Sony MDR-7506
369192.jpg
Bought these for music production back when I was really into that... Great studio quality headphones that you'll notice most pro's use... Price range is around $100-130.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recs for a closed back headphone $250 and under?

Doesn't need insane isolation, just needs to be able to block out a reasonable amount of sound with music on. Also can't leak sound, this is probably the most important part... I'm bringing these to my dorm+listening on the plane+library.

I own a pair of SR80i's and I LOVE the upfront sound and clarity. I understand this really isn't all that possible with a closed back, but as long as its not toooo laid back or bass heavy I'm good.

I'm looking at the AT-ESW9. Looks purddyy and is nice and compact.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Recs for a closed back headphone $250 and under?

Doesn't need insane isolation, just needs to be able to block out a reasonable amount of sound with music on. Also can't leak sound, this is probably the most important part... I'm bringing these to my dorm+listening on the plane+library.

I own a pair of SR80i's and I LOVE the upfront sound and clarity. I understand this really isn't all that possible with a closed back, but as long as its not toooo laid back or bass heavy I'm good.

I'm looking at the AT-ESW9. Looks purddyy and is nice and compact.

There is a $150 Audio Technica but I forget the numbers. I like the Beyerdynamic cans in this price range too. Also check out Denon.

A reliable site for suggestions is the Headroom page. www.headphone.com

http://www.headphone.com/selection-g...headphones.php

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TH-ESW9.

Best headphones I've ever had for $200 bucks. One complaint I have is they press against my ears a bit, so they get sore and hurt after prolonged use.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0f42f001_ipod-earphones-prod.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads