• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me some black shoes

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marshtj
Wow, that Danish Kroner exchange rate is terrible.

That's basic Danish pricing at work
frown.gif

BTW, that shop in Copenhagen is closed now. The owners still have a shop in Malmö, Sweden.

Here's another pic of the Dartmouth I mentioned earlier:

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cnh121
You can get most of the C&J handgrade shoes for around $350 from plal.com. The 348 last, which I assume you are referring to, is not the only one that is available in black. The Connaught on the 236 would be a good choice.
Handgrade is more like $425 USD from Plal. Also to threadstarter: what is your definition of office casual? What kind of attire are you trying to pair this with? A black cap-toe balmoral like several of the examples previously posted is not exactly casual to me, compared to say a plain toe derby or plain toe single-monk on a rounder last.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
bump

Never ended up picking some up but I need more recs.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^thanks pm I really like those, dislike the eyelets on the bb site and they don't look as good in calf

I think a sleek whole cut or swan type would be good too, I wouldn't mind an aggressively designed toebox (just no square tip like most shoes here).

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I think a sleek whole cut or swan type would be good too, I wouldn't mind an aggressively designed toebox (just no square tip like most shoes here).

what's your size?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^thanks pm I really like those, dislike the eyelets on the bb site and they don't look as good in calf

Good point. I just picked this photo off of the web somewhere. I didn't notice that he eyelets were different.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^yep, the picture you linked looks nicer

I haven't tried on the AE benchmark but I'm a 43 in designer shoes, 10.5 in asics, 10.5-11 in nike, 10.5 in nb.

My foot measures a hair over 12" standing flat and narrow shoes aren't a problem.

The 3rd/4th c&j's that TKD posted are very close to what I'm looking for.

Vass F last are preferred to U, double sole would be nice but not necessary.

Bellison

Reaction score
PLAL doesn't ship anymore. you can only buy them in Malaysia.

Originally Posted by cnh121
You can get most of the C&J handgrade shoes for around $350 from plal.com. The 348 last, which I assume you are referring to, is not the only one that is available in black. The Connaught on the 236 would be a good choice.

Bexhill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Alright guys need some recommendations on black lace-ups for casual office environment and need to fill the black shoe gap.

Requirements:

-somewhat sleek last though I am flexible on this
-good quality
-no chiseled toe
-simpler the better (flexible on this too and cap toe, brogue, wholecut etc will be considered)
-would like to cap at 400 or 500

I like c&j but the tapered square toe on almost all of their handgrade turns me off. I have not seen anything that I love and need the collective wisdom of mc to locate some pictures of lovely black lace-ups. Have not seen anything that strikes my fancy yet in that range.

Loake's Shoes. Classic, Elegant, Durable, Leather Soles (Of course!), Not too expensive!

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bellison
PLAL doesn't ship anymore. you can only buy them in Malaysia.

This is terrible news. I really like the barstow on the 351 and it seems I keep coming back to c&j for their sleekness.

They're about 560 shipped from uk and the custom boots I wanted made will come out to $900, any other options of going through a retailer for custom that would be cheaper?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads