• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RECOMMEND ME DRESS SHOES FOR UNDER $300!!!

ToucanSam

Reaction score
I need some dress shoes for work. Preferably, I do not want to spend a lot. I utterly hate Aldens and Allen Edmonds shoes; they're too "old school" for me.

Recommend me a more modern, looking shoe.

Anyone have any thoughts on Hugo Boss?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I need some dress shoes for work. Preferably, I do not want to spend a lot. I utterly hate Aldens and Allen Edmonds shoes; they're too "old school" for me.
Recommend me a more modern, looking shoe.
Anyone have any thoughts on Hugo Boss?

You've been a member of this board for how long?

ToucanSam

Reaction score

You've been a member of this board for how long?

The date is annotated next to my name. It reads as follows: 4/2007. If this is sarcasm, I digress and would like to state that I initially joined this forum for other means that has nothing to do with the "Men's Clothing" section.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like Boss then you should go for it.

The quality won't necessarily be on par with some of the classic styles many of us here like but at the end of the day it comes down to what you like and feel good wearing.

I'm sure you can find Boss and other fashion brands at deep discount as well.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look through the sale shoes at www.Afinepairofshoes.co.uk before you give up and buy Boss.

You may see something that bridges the gap for you. Some of the English makers seem to be able to blend tradition with sleekness better than any of the American makers do.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Look through the sale shoes at www.Afinepairofshoes.co.uk before you give up and buy Boss.
You may see something that bridges the gap for you. Some of the English makers seem to be able to blend tradition with sleekness better than any of the American makers do.
+1 or you can also check Herrings Shoes

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too find allen edmonds and alden shoes to be ugly. although to be fair they do make decent boots, partly because of their clunky lasts, they just need to stay the hell away from shoes (or start making sneakers).

have to considered crockett & jones, their shoes are sleek and refined and modern but also very traditionally english and conservative. a perfect mix and surely to suit your needs.

SuitedNBooted

Reaction score
The few HB black label dress shoes I have purchased have been unmitigated disasters. Their sizing can be way off, shoes expand by a completely random amount, leather creases badly, ...

I've owned 2 pairs of orange label shoes that were brilliant though.

If you go with HB then I would suggest their Hugo line, much more modern stylewise and in far better taste. Otherwise why not go to a good department store, they often have smaller/unknown brands that are affordable and look surprisingly good.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
If you've got a Saks Off 5th near you, check out their selection of To Boot NY. A buddy just picked up a decent pair of tan captoes for $130 last weekend. They always have To Boot at around $199. To Boot is sleeker than AE or Alden (though the leather is not as nice IMO), but nicer and more stylish than Boss Black.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is utterly impossible for any member here to get into your mind and have a good idea what you want. Without examples of shoes you do like, we are screwed and only able to throw around brand names as if it actually means anything.

Only adivise I can give, based on very limited information, is to go to a Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off Fifth or Neiman Marcus Last Call and see what shoes they have and grab whatever tickles your fancy. If you find Boss rocks your boat, then rock with it. You may alternatively see a pair of Bruno Magli's or Magnanni's you like for around the same price.

Last edited:

johncage10

Reaction score
This is such an example of an emotional response from an immature man. Come on, if the kid doesn't like Allen Edmonds or AE there's no need to get your panties all in a bunch. We do have to accept that AE and Alden are way too old fashioned and even clunky for today's kids who dress real slim.

Hugo Boss shoes are often not well built, and have rubber soles. The other thing that puts me off about Hugo Boss is the fact that they have the name embossed on the shoes (tacky !!!).

You can look around in Norstrom, their house brand has some good looking shoes that won't break the bank.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads