Recommend me an English grammar

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jekyll, Mar 12, 2010.

1. kimchikowboy

kimchikowboy Senior member

+1
    I have been recommending Swan for years.

2. bach

bach Senior member

You might want to check out some descriptive English reference grammars, though unfortunately, I can't recommend a specific one. Are you interested in linguistics? A course in syntax or intro to linguistics would probably be right up your alley. "what is a reference grammar" http://www.sil.org/linguistics/Gloss...nceGrammar.htm

3. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bach

bach Senior member

[​IMG]

Nope.

5. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

LOL

6. Syl

Syl Senior member

"Eats, Shoots & Leaves" is a novel however it is excellent reading and covers quite a number of grammatical elements that I had forgotten.

7. why

why Senior member

I'm looking for something that's clear and concise that I can use to learn all of the stuff that I ignored in school. I want to learn about clauses and shit like that. I may even be willing to diagram a few sentences. Any recommendations?

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0205268552

Probably the cheapest and best. It covers pretty much all the oddities of English and explains the underlying system that makes up the grammar. It uses a nice method of diagramming sentences and goes well beyond the average 'parts of speech' and 'form' approach to grammar -- which is really only a facade. It functions well as a primer to basic linguistics too.

It's not exactly an exciting read, but it remains the gold standard of grammar texts:

If I remember this book correctly, it has those ugly precriptions of usage throughout.

^ Hey thanks for being a fan of my post, there, Jekyll. [​IMG]

I would like, if I may be so bold, append a request that is somehow connected to this topic: I would be looking for a good 'standard' (medium sized) etymological dictionary of the English language, any good suggestions in this department would be most welcome...

The best is of course the Oxford English Dictionary (and really the only source I'd trust for research purposes), but the American Heritage College Dictionary is very useful since it tracks words from their likely sources and includes Indo-European and Proto-Indo-European roots for many words.

The thread title is a joke because of the subject, right?

It's actually a 'correct' usage of the word.

8. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0205268552

Probably the cheapest and best. It covers pretty much all the oddities of English and explains the underlying system that makes up the grammar. It uses a nice method of diagramming sentences and goes well beyond the average 'parts of speech' and 'form' approach to grammar -- which is really only a facade. It functions well as a primer to basic linguistics too.

This looks like what I'm looking for. Thanks.

9. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

I am a fan of all High Level people and posts.
    I'm a fan of all 20 year olds who know all there is to know about life. [​IMG] (secret of eternal youth)...

Thanks for the suggestions, why.

10. waldenbags

waldenbags Active Member

I'm looking for something that's clear and concise that I can use to learn all of the stuff that I ignored in school. I want to learn about clauses and shit like that. I may even be willing to diagram a few sentences. Any recommendations?
    Swan's _Practical English Usage_ is a good user-friendly reference for both native and non-native users of English.

Reference works by Randolph Quirk (_A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language_ and the more condensed _University Grammar_), though not too user-firendly, are also interesting to look through to examine the intricacies of usage.

I'm unable to attach PDFs here, but, if you wish, I can Email you some digitized pages from these reference works so you can see if they fit what you need.

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

This looks like what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Haven't used this one but I have Kolln's Rhetorical Grammar and find it useful.

Some basic stuff is covered in a user-friendly way by Woe Is I, the Elephants of Style, and Lapsing into a Comma, but as you can tell from the titles they're not really hard reference books.

12. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Haven't used this one but I have Kolln's Rhetorical Grammar and find it useful.

This looks good too. Thanks.

13. dexterhaven

dexterhaven Senior member

I'd like to second Why's suggestion. Years ago I had the same impulse you did. I stumbled upon Kolln's Understanding English Grammar and learned a lot from it. A few years after I worked through the book, I took an advanced English grammar class and destroyed it. Students around me were cursing in frustration while I was bored with such simple material, and I'm not that smart. The book does a good job of mixing old and new approaches to render grammar a concrete thing. You will learn to see the form of a sentence, to view its composite parts and the tissue that connects them. Kolln's Rhetorical Grammar tries to do the same thing, but also tries to be a writing style guide and several other things. In attempting to do many things, it accomplishes nothing. You'd do better to stay away form it, I think.

14. Strombollii

Strombollii Senior member

I like Strunk and White for basic references.

Lynne Truss' Eats, Shoots and Leaves isn't the sturdiest reference, but it's entertaining and will at least leave you more aware of common usage.

Kolln's Understanding English Grammar is dense, but a great reference.

15. willpower

willpower Senior member