1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend me an Earl Grey Tea

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Artisan Fan, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Any fans of this tea blend? Any brands you prefer?

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Not much of a tea guy, but I find Intelligentsia's delicious.

3. ama

ama Senior member

I get much of my tea from this place: http://www.la-societe-du-the.com/

They are very helpful and have excellent quality tea. They have a few earl gray blends that are very good and they can send you some custom blends that you can help design on your own. Ask for Tony if you call.

4. Homme

Homme Senior member

Drank lots of the Earl Grey Impèrial from Mariage Frères when I was in Paris, absolutely love it.

5. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Fortnum and Mason "Smokey Earl Grey"

6. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

I haven't bothered with loose leaf tea in a long time and always drink Twinings Earl Grey bags - plebby but widely available. Every other brand tastes off to me, usually too much of a perfume taste.

7. Alter

Alter Senior member

This is weird. I was going to post this exact question a few weeks ago. I didn't because I bought some of the above-mentioned Earl Grey Imperial from Mariages Freres. It is wonderful stuff.

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Any fans of this tea blend? Any brands you prefer?

Mighty Tea Organic earl grey

9. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I kinda go for Stash's Double Bergamot Earl Grey. Plebby but just right for me.

11. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Okay thanks. Great suggestions here.

12. alterion

alterion Senior member

I love earl grey its probably my favourite "everyday" tea, especially with toast, or scones or crumpets - but, because its a flavoured tes, I honestly don't worry too much about what I am drinking (unlike "real" tea, where I am a proper purist). I have had the Mariages Freres above, and its certainly very nice, but usually on a daily basis for earl grey I don't sweat the source and I just take fortnum & mason's, M&S or even twinning loose leaf. As long as you are not drinking from bags, most of the big shops can provide a very satisfying cup of earl grey. Perhaps the best tip with EG is to ensure you store it properly in a true airtight flask - as the bergamot tends to loose flavour quite quickly, in most standard packages. Making sure you seal your earl grey well is the simplest and easiest way to ensure a good cuppa.

13. pgd3

pgd3 Senior member

For cheap stuff I really enjoy the Lady Gray sold by Trader Joes,

Otherwise some of the best stuff I've found comes in this grey box with the taj majal on the front. which is cheap.

Actually, of all teas, earl grey is probably the most safe bet for having a decent cup of tea.

14. Alter

Alter Senior member

15. 1969

1969 Senior member

I like Taylors of Harrigate well enough.

16. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Fortnum and Mason "Smokey Earl Grey"

Wonderful stuff. Earl Grey blended with Lapsang Souchong.

As for everyday stuff, Twinings is the best. I don't know quite how to describe it, but the flavor is a little sharper and brighter than many others, and I like that.

17. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

Lipton pyramid bag Earl Grey. Not too complex, still nice.

18. godofcoffee

godofcoffee Senior member

That's next on my shopping list. Thanks for the rec.

Beautiful leaves, although the lack of explanation for the blue-ness is kind of unnerving.

The only thing I can add is that Upton Tea (http://www.uptontea.com/ where I get most of my stock) makes a mean Earl Grey. Twinings tea is typically awful, especially if you get it loose; Lipton is similar or weakly better. Mariage Freres charges you a lot of markup for the snob value, but it's good, and tea is cheap anyway.

19. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Beautiful leaves, although the lack of explanation for the blue-ness is kind of unnerving.

It's the cornflower but despite what they say I'd be willing to bet it was added strictly for visual effect.

20. godofcoffee

godofcoffee Senior member

It's the cornflower but despite what they say I'd be willing to bet it was added strictly for visual effect.

Ah, haha, thanks. That's an error in my reading comprehension. And I agree, I've never had cornflower tea before.