• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a woolen grey overcoat

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a grey, woolen overcoat - probably 3/4 lenght.

Not conservative business dress but rather something that'll work with jeans and chukkas.

Not charcoal but rather midgrey - maybe a herringbone or glen plaid pattern.

Preferably slanted pockets as I already have a rather dressy dark coat with flap pockets.

I like the colour of this herringbone coat, but it seems too dressy to dress down:

220002Y00500-cutout-main.jpg

Here's one with a twill-like fabric:

41188069kj_12_f.jpg

What other options are out there? Bonus points for EU on-line sources or inspirational photos
smile.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go with something tweedy - either donegal or harris herringbone

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. Do you have any recommendations for RTW options?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a DB one from Isaia but otherwise not too sure.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's your price range?

those lapels on the coats you posted look dressy
you need a higher collar and no lapel if you want really dressed down look

i bought a coat from hugo boss
i've been wearing this with a more casual look mostly
bosscoat.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I have a DB one from Isaia but otherwise not too sure.
That sounds nice. Unfortunately I have no idea where to source Isaia in my neck of the woods, apart from the meager offerings on Yoox. Also, it would have to be single breasted.

Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox
what's your price range?

those lapels on the coats you posted look dressy
you need a higher collar and no lapel if you want really dressed down look

i bought a coat from hugo boss
i've been wearing this with a more casual look mostly

Thanks for the suggestion, but that coat is too casual for what I'm envisioning. I hear you on the lapel issue, but I feel that the type of collar I've posted can work in a casual context, if the rest of the details and fabric works. As for price, I would like to keep it below 1K$ if possible.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever seen any of Schneider's offerings? I have 2 overcoats from them: 1 of which is more of a traditional overcoat and the other is what you are looking for. It is a wool/cashmere blend in a greyish-black/ white herringbone. Single breasted with 3 horn buttons and two flap pockets that hits around mid-thigh. Their cuts are trimmer and cleaner than most and are good wardrobe staples without being too conservative out of the office. Kind of reminds me of a less italian version of Malo. I wear the herringbone one to work and also with raw denim and paul smith boots on the weekend. It can definitely be played up or down and it always gets tons of compliments. On top of that it has held up in the Boston winters over the past 6 years.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
Have you ever seen any of Schneider's offerings?
I had never heard of Schneider's and a quick googling didn't yield a lot of on-line options and from their site I can see the have no retailers in Denmark, but thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
I have a Black/White Pal Zileri herringbone overcoat for sale that you might want to check out, it looks mid-light grey from farther away, but has a nice detail up close.
That actually looks pretty nice. The pockets, the collar, the fabric and the closing is pretty much what I had in mind. Unfortunately it's too large for me.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still looking for suggestions - hopefully in the form of shop links or inspirational photos.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It turns out that finding a great grey topcoat is harder than expected.

Anyway, came across some Harris Tweed samples of the type of fabric I was hoping for:

Either this:

GHT-26.jpg

or this:

GHT-22.jpg

If anyone comes across anything in these or similar fabrics I would love to hear about it.

And if anyone comes across pics of grey topcoats worn well, please share.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it have to be grey? I have a brown cotton coat that is perfect with jeans etc. It's just a cheap mall brand but somebody must make something better. At least I hope so I'll need to replace it sooner or later.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Does it have to be grey? I have a brown cotton coat that is perfect with jeans etc. It's just a cheap mall brand but somebody must make something better. At least I hope so I'll need to replace it sooner or later.

Yes, I'm really only looking for something mid-grey at the moment, but thank you for the suggestion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads