• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

recommend me a WARM jacket

mastapro

Reaction score
i posted this in men's clothing and they told me to do it here, so here it goes. Some info: I live in Pittsburgh, so it snows quite a bit and it's just extremely cold. My budget is less than $500. I like the Canada Goose and Moose Knuckle jackets but I can't get them without going to Canada(which I am going to do in the summer if I can't find one by then). I like the look of the canada goose jackets but I am open to other suggestions. Thanks.

mastapro

Reaction score

If you're an XL or XXL, buy one of these Aspesi jackets on sale from Mr. Porter:
http://www.mrporter.com/product/164252
http://www.mrporter.com/product/164253
Super warm and an incredible price.

i'm not XL, i'm more of a M or L, but those aren't bad at all. very good prices too. i saw a puffy one like that at zara and h&m, i might go cheap and just pick one of those up but i'm still leaning towards putting up big money to get a jacket that will last a long time. i'm sick of being cold every day

dsoren

Reaction score

i'm not XL, i'm more of a M or L, but those aren't bad at all. very good prices too. i saw a puffy one like that at zara and h&m, i might go cheap and just pick one of those up but i'm still leaning towards putting up big money to get a jacket that will last a long time. i'm sick of being cold every day

Moved to Boston recently and this coat is one of the better clothing purchases I've ever made. I sized TTS but it's pretty short and slim (think of like a moto/bomber fit), you could possibly get away with an XL if you're more like a L. If you're closer to a medium it would probably way too big.

Even full priced Aspesi is very reasonable. Super warm down and made in Italy...

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
If your primary consideration is staying warm as opposed to looking good, eddie bauer's down jackets do a phenomenal job. I actually had to return mine last season as they were a mess after a machine washing, but strictly in terms of keeping you warm, they were first rate.

Lands end has down jackets with down lined hoods. Not quite as warm as the EB, but the hood is very useful.

mastapro

Reaction score

If your primary consideration is staying warm as opposed to looking good, eddie bauer's down jackets do a phenomenal job. I actually had to return mine last season as they were a mess after a machine washing, but strictly in terms of keeping you warm, they were first rate.
Lands end has down jackets with down lined hoods. Not quite as warm as the EB, but the hood is very useful.

yea that's the thing, i want a combo of looking good and warm. i'm willing to sacrifice a bit of the warmness for looks however...

willyxjai

Reaction score
What is your budget? There are brands like north face and penfield that can be easily be yours under 400. If you're willing to spend more then you can go for cmfr, quartz, nobis and outdoor survival. Since you're from the states have you tried looking for canada goose jackets online? I know bloomingdale sells them and iicr they had a sale last week for 20%, too bad they don't ship to Canada.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd argue that a military coat with a polyfil liner and a thick knit should do you fine if keeping warm is all you're after. Something like a N-3 should be good.

mastapro

Reaction score

What is your budget? There are brands like north face and penfield that can be easily be yours under 400. If you're willing to spend more then you can go for cmfr, quartz, nobis and outdoor survival. Since you're from the states have you tried looking for canada goose jackets online? I know bloomingdale sells them and iicr they had a sale last week for 20%, too bad they don't ship to Canada.

budget is prob 400-500 MAX. i want to stay in the 250 range though. ya i was looking at the northface gotham but when i tried it on at macy's, it looks too weird and baggy. it's SUPER warm though. I might end up getting goose cuz i go to montreal 4 times a year for family but i'm still deciding

willyxjai

Reaction score

budget is prob 400-500 MAX. i want to stay in the 250 range though. ya i was looking at the northface gotham but when i tried it on at macy's, it looks too weird and baggy. it's SUPER warm though. I might end up getting goose cuz i go to montreal 4 times a year for family but i'm still deciding

Just fyi north face is warm when its -5 or so any more you'll need to layer up, the jacket itself fits baggy so you'll need to size down as im sure you'll know. I went from NF to canada goose and now nobis. Usually i like to wear my jackets for a long period of time as I do not like renting them but for the price of my nobis, it was an offer I couldn't resist.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went from NF to canada goose and now nobis. Usually i like to wear my jackets for a long period of time as I do not like renting them but for the price of my nobis, it was an offer I couldn't resist.

what???

blairh

Reaction score

Since you're from the states have you tried looking for canada goose jackets online? I know bloomingdale sells them and iicr they had a sale last week for 20%, too bad they don't ship to Canada.

What is iicr?

blairh

Reaction score

If you're an XL or XXL, buy one of these Aspesi jackets on sale from Mr. Porter:
http://www.mrporter.com/product/164252
http://www.mrporter.com/product/164253
Super warm and an incredible price.

The navy (1st link) is available in Large as I speak. More of a warm hip-length down jacket compared to a CG parka which will be longer most likely and have a toasty fur hood.

blairh

Reaction score
OP, give me your height/weight/body type. I know of some online retailers with certain sizes still available with respect to CG. Also, what colors are you thinking?

The Moose Knuckles patch looks like a set of testicles.

Last edited:

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Moose Knuckles patch looks like a set of testicles.

Do you know what "moose knuckle" means??

OzAJg.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads