• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a trendy NYC restaurant

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some small town (small country really) out-of-towners coming in next week and I'd like to take them to a trendy, buzzing NYC restaurant. my default option for this is Tao in midtown, but I realize that any real New Yorker (I live in Connecticut ... lulz) would sneer at this choice. so i'm wondering if anyone can suggest a modern day equivalent. at the same time it would be nice to expand my address book.

on the other hand my guests are coming from the home of Buddha so it will be hard to resist that statue ... but let's see what u got for me. price pp should be <$40

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jean georges or emp prix fixe for lunch?
peepwall[1].gif

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the prix fixe lunch is not a bad idea but 1) my guests aren't really connoisseurs and 2) im really aiming for a night time spot that captures the energy of NYC.

emp looks great, will have to add that to my own list. too bad i can no longer bill this stuff to my parents
uhoh.gif

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow trump really? dinner in times square? le bernardin was a block away ...

eataly website was too complicated to understand

Yachting Man

Reaction score
21 Club
I wouldn't call it trendy by any means, but there are many fun little objects in there (hanging on the ceiling) that prompt for great conversations.

When I'm not away on business I'm there at least once a week for lunch, dinner or drinks typically with clients.

Btw, Tao is really overrated.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know everyone hates Tao except me
ffffuuuu.gif
actually im not sure how it could be overrated since all i ever hear is ppl trash talking it.

21 Club looks interesting but not what i'm going for. actually it reminds me though i have to keep in mind that i'll be entertaining some tourists who just went around doing touristy things all day and may not be well dressed. so maybe i need to revise my goals to more casual
ffffuuuu.gif

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
on the other hand my guests are coming from the home of Buddha so it will be hard to resist that statue ... but let's see what u got for me. price pp should be <$40

facepalm.gif
Are they from Nepal? Do you like a restaurant better if it has a giant Jesus in the front? You should also take them to Buddahkan and Buddah Bar just in case they don't get the hint.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
i know everyone hates Tao except me
ffffuuuu.gif
actually im not sure how it could be overrated since all i ever hear is ppl trash talking it.

The Tao in Las Vegas is the single highest-grossing independent restaurant in the United States. It features seminaked women, gaming consoles, poolside plasma-screen TVs, and preprogrammed iPods all amid a proliferation of Buddhas, pulsating music, and sensuous decor. It is doubtful that either owners or customers are alive to the absurdity of co-opting the Tao, the ancient Chinese wisdom path of nonattachment and surrender, to support such lavish excess, or of using images of Buddha, the teacher of serene mindfulness, to shill food, liquor, and games of chance.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some choices:

1) Lavo
2) Lure fishbar
3) La Esquina
4) Travertine

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Q. I need you to recommend a restaurant. I'm a 35-year-old professional in Manhattan, and I am looking for a place where I can take my boys from the office to meet this smoking-hot girl I hooked up with at Lily Pond in the Hamptons this summer.

Me and my team, we're big into that whole meatpacking district thing. We like steak, veal. Maybe Italian food? There's one dude from Mexico City who eats only fish, which is weird. Maybe this girl would eat fish, too. I don't know. We've been to something like 10 restaurants now, and I think her favorite foods are truffle fries and ketchup. But she drinks Champagne. So maybe bottle service?

Speaking of, this place has to be exclusive. I need a little exclusivity to offset the fact that I'm taking a girl to dinner with six dudes who do math for a living, and not six girls who look just like her. Usually, she likes to eat in a room with women who look like beautiful giraffes and dudes tall enough to look down on them.

Which is, by the way, a message I totally endorse: I'm a former rugby back, 6-foot-3, 220!

Finally, if there's a guy in the restroom who could hand me a towel after I'm done doing my business in there and washing my hands, maybe give me a mint or something? I would be into that. Old school! I would tip that guy $5 just for being there, you know?

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hm Lavo sounds awesome but too over the top for my older guests. i'm totally down to roll w/ rugby bro's crew, although sounds like they already got too many dogs and not enough buns tbh.

but im not down w/ those bathroom dudes and almost never tip them.

ok let me try a different tack - any good chilled out rooftop spots worth considering? possibly in soho or somewhere thereabouts, or wherever. doesn't have to be as scene-y. that have heat lamps in case it gets chilly like tonight? alright.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads