• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a printer

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Find cheap ink and buy a printer that uses it--seriously.

FWIW you could probably fix your old printer. My 10+ year-old Canon failed and it turned out to be a clogged waste-ink hose I could have fixed with a pipe cleaner (I actually threw about $70 worth of parts at it). But I have a small crate of 75-cent ink cartridges so it was worth it.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a laser, inkjets **** you on ink costs.

We've been okay with Brother for a while.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Brother duplex laser printer that I got at black friday for $40 two years ago. It's been working flawlessly. I have it set up as a network Printer attached to my main Desktop (which is rarely powered off) so I can print from any laptop or even my tablet.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I hate buying printers more than any other piece of technology... that said, anyone have a good laser printer recommendation for home office use?
I could probably get away with black and white, but might check out color options as well.
It doesn't need to scan/fax, though wireless is important and auto-duplex would be a huge plus. Looking for good print quality, reliability, and reasonably priced toner refills over the long term (would rather pay more for the printer up front, etc). It'll mostly be used for text, some graphics, but not photos.

I have a Lexmark e450dn that was purchased when I moved into my college apartment and there would be 5 people printing crap. Laser is key for crisp text and longevity since toner is cheap and lasts forever compared to ink. It has auto duplexing which is great.
What do you mean by wireless? The printer itself takes an ethernet cable, so you have to have it near your router, but I can print wirelessly to it from any of my computers.

Obviously that is an old model. but it looks like either the e260dn or the e460dn would work perfectly (or the e460dw if you absolutely need wireless on the printer end). I got it with a ton of rebates so it was cheap...but it was definitely worth the full price.

For you and Teger's scanning needs--just pick up a flatbed scanner. They are dirt cheap on ebay for an older model and take up very little space. Those multifunction devices tend to be crap.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bump if anyone has additional recs.
I am looking for an all in one: print/scan/fax/copy. Doubt I will print flicks.....
Reading this thread has me thinking about laser.....

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Bump if anyone has additional recs.
I am looking for an all in one: print/scan/fax/copy. Doubt I will print flicks.....
Reading this thread has me thinking about laser.....

cheap or expensive? work or home? etc.

laser all the way. i've got a midlevel Brother all-in-one. its the **** - cheap toner, relatively easy to operate, does exactly what its supposed to do. and the best part? i got it for free after rebate.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How big of a hurry are you in?

This:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...g=slicinc-20&ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
was $160 a couple of days ago but the current price isn't awful.

You definitely want laser unless you plan to print pictures (but there are tons of places that can print a better photo than you can at home....and if you work out the ink costs, they do it for less too).

Stuff like this shows up pretty often on slickdeals if you are willing to wait. You could set up a Deal Alert to email you anytime someone starts a thread for one...pretty easy keywords to get at, try any of these combos:
printer all
laser fax
printer scan laser
etc....all of those should pick up All-In-One laser printers and send you an email whenever someone posts a deal.

Edit: and if you are cool with not needing wireless (you can still print wirelessly, you just have to plug the printer into an ethernet cable), this guy is a lot cheaper:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-imageCLASS-MF4770n-Monochrome-Printer/dp/B008YD1V6C/ref=pd_sim_e_6

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tks.. I def want/need wireless. I would probably not need to print flicks. I want the best bang for my buck. Also want it in the next month...

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

home. price is not an issue but want a hot meal for a fair price. i saw this:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CC36201

what brother do you have?

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Printer-MFC7360N-Monochrome-Networking/dp/B004QM99K0

This is the newer, wireless version:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QM99JG

Also, keep an eye out for sales and printer trade-in deals. You can often save $50 on a new printer if you trade one in. If you don't have an old one, you can buy one off CL for like $10.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Tks.. I def want/need wireless. I would probably not need to print flicks. I want the best bang for my buck. Also want it in the next month...

Just to be clear, you can still print wirelessly from your laptop on the second printer I mentioned (or the first of Rambo's). Only the printer needs to be connected to the network with a cable...so if your printer is in the same room as your router/modem (or you have wiring run in the house), you are good to go.

Otherwise it looks like there's ~$50 premium on wireless.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Laser printers have kind of a long warmup time for occasional home use. You also have to replace the drums and fusers as well as toner cartridges -- and they are expensive and have surprisingly short service lives.

Like I said before, you should pick your printer based on how much it costs to print with it, not how much it costs up front.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just to be clear, you can still print wirelessly from your laptop on the second printer I mentioned (or the first of Rambo's). Only the printer needs to be connected to the network with a cable...so if your printer is in the same room as your router/modem (or you have wiring run in the house), you are good to go.

Otherwise it looks like there's ~$50 premium on wireless.

Tks. My printer and router are in diff rooms...

Laser printers have kind of a long warmup time for occasional home use. You also have to replace the drums and fusers as well as toner cartridges -- and they are expensive and have surprisingly short service lives.

Like I said before, you should pick your printer based on how much it costs to print with it, not how much it costs up front.

Good 2 know...

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

by long warmup time he means 20 seconds. ooooh, so it doesn't come on instantly...

and all the associated costs are mitigated with generics and WAY cheaper over the long run than using inkjets.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah....my old inkjet took WAY longer to warm up than my laser printer if it hadn't been used in a while. It wasn't really a warmup...more like an abbreviated self-clean...but it took a long time.

If my laser printer is on and just asleep (which is how you would probably leave it if it is a wireless print/copy/fax type machine), it has usually already printed the page by the time I walk over there. Mine is a print-only Lexmark (I have a small flatbed scanner in a drawer somewhere if I ever need it and I don't even have a phone line so a fax is useless), but I doubt a multi-function would have a worse warm-up time.

Takes a little longer from a cold start...after I flip the switch, the firmware has to boot up, and then the printer has to warm up...maybe a minute total.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads