• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a navy roll neck

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a navy wool roll neck in a not too fine knit.

I had high hopes for this SNS Herning:

35m.png

(The pic is not of the navy one, but this one shows the details better)

but the fit didn't work for me; with the extended shoulders and the high armholes there was some strange bunching going on. Also, both the sleeves and the body was too long.

Then I came across this Nigel Cabourn:

1253-1-L.jpg

but judging from comments in the Cabourn thread it's probably too saggy and I'm not even sure it's still available.

Any recommendations for other, fisherman style knits? Bonus points for EU sources
smile.gif

WUKILLABEEZ78

Reaction score
The first one looks great to me. What kind of build do you have that made it ill-fitting on you? Looks like it'd be a great fit on anyone who has an athletic build (or even a really muscular build)...

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Sonic and MoK for the suggestions.

Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ78
The first one looks great to me. What kind of build do you have that made it ill-fitting on you? Looks like it'd be a great fit on anyone who has an athletic build (or even a really muscular build)...
I'm in fairly decent shape (40" chest, 32" waist). I tried a medium and the combination of the extended shoulders (you can see in the pic how the shoulder stitching is placed a good deal down the side of the shoulder) and the almost uncomfortably high armholes caused some weird bunching under the arms and at the side of the chest. Otherwise the medium was nice and snug fitting, if not a little tight in the chest (the knit stretched slightly to reveal the white tee I wore underneath). And the arms and body were a little too long, so sizing up wasn't an option.

tl;dr: Fit not too good
laugh.gif

Other recommendations for a fitted, rustic roll neck?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an update on the Cro'Jack - I had a credit note with Triads that needed spending so bought one of the Nany roll-necks. First impressions are very positive - nice close knit, made in England and feels very good quality. Sizing wise I'm a 42.5" chest and a large was about right - a little room but not baggy. If you like very close fits you may want to size down.

King Leer

Reaction score
LL Bean has some nice ones. Rogues Gallery had a few choice looks in years past...

dave

Reaction score
i have one from fred perry that i really like. it's from this past season so you may still be able to find one.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That one looks good.

MoK, does the rollneck of your Cro'Jack fit firmly around the neck or is it slightly saggy? I'm hoping for a nice tight fit around the neck - The SNS Herning had this.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
^ That one looks good.

MoK, does the rollneck of your Cro'Jack fit firmly around the neck or is it slightly saggy? I'm hoping for a nice tight fit around the neck - The SNS Herning had this.

Slightly loose, but not too bad (although I'm thick necked - 17").

I wore mine today and noticed that although I'd ordered a large, the label says Medium - whether it's wrongly labelled or Triads sent the wrong one I don't know, but it's worth checking sizing.

Anyway this is mine and I'm a 42.5" chest:

20110313_main.jpg

20110313_standing.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks for the fit pics. Looks like a good size for you (whether it's an actual medium or large).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads