• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Recommend me a longwing wingtip for wear with jeans...

zerostyle

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking for a nice looking wingtip shoe or boot to wear with jeans. Here's what I'm trying to find:

1. Has a dainite sole. (Basically don't want to worry about leather getting ruined in bad conditions)
2. Color: A medium'ish brown. Don't want it as light as the walnut color of AE, but not as dark as their burnished brown where you can't see the details in a dark room.
3. Should versatile: casual enough to wear with jeans but stylish enough to wear with chinos and a blazer
4. Under $300

Any ideas? My favorite so far is this alden longwing, but the price is too much for me:

Something like this color from Jcrew/Alden seems about right. (Or a bit more distressed is fine too).

Waxy version at Jcrew here, but $515!!!! http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/Shoes/men/PRDOVR~18582/99101829879/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20~~~0~15~all~mode+matchallany~~~~~alden/18582.jsp

A few I've looked at:

AE MacNeil - didn't like the fit or the color
AE McTavish - I like the waxy look of it, but it's a balmoral instead of a blucher
Alden - Too expensive
Meermin Longwings - looked too plasticy/cheap from pictures

Any others I should check out? Maybe Loake 1880 or Alfred Sargent?

Last edited:

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just buy some cole haans and be done with it

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the Meermin Karangrain and be done with it.

SiegfriedFuerst

Reaction score
You seem to want cheap, but not cheap looking, when you find that, tell us. Otherwise stick with the Meermin or buy some used Florsheim shell longwings off ebay and get a topy put on them.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 30 15.4%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Carmina

Votes: 31 15.9%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 33.3%