• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a liquor for this weekend

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michters Rye 10yr

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Under or over the counter?
smile.gif

They have it on the shelf with all the other whiskeys. I may get a bottle tonight and put on some overalls and pick off squirrels with a pellet gun.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you guys are good. i was also going to recommend some rye.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get your self a bottle of Woodford Reserve bourbon. They usually have it at Costco and BevMo as well as most liquor stores. At about $29 a bottle it is an excellent value. It is easily better than Jack Daniels and I prefer it to most of the bourbons costing $50+. I think it is best enjoyed straight and not diluted on the rocks.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taktikz
Originally Posted by girardian
The recommendations of Balvenie and Elmer T. Lee are solid and easy to find at respectable prices.

If, however, you are looking for something a bit different I'd like to add to the list. Since it appears that you enjoy blended scotch, I highly recommend the offerings of Compass Box. They are definitely worth the money. I suggest Flaming Heart if you like a backbone of spice and a little peat, or the Oak Cross if you prefer smoother offerings.

How do these compare to Pinch, Chivas Regal, or Black/Blue label ? Taste-wise?

I cannot speak to "Pinch," but as to the others (CR and JW Black/Blue), they are (in my personal opinion) superior.

For purposes of comparrison I'd have to separate all three -- as they are markedly different whiskeys.

Crown Royal runs hot to my taste. I do not particularly care for it. There's a substantial difference between a *powerful* whiskey and a *hot* whiskey. You must be able to discern richness and flavors through the heat, not just "before" or "after" the heat.

JW Black has a signature taste to it that I enjoy. It's unique in the same manner as the Glenlivet. JW Blue is a bit more subdued and softly complex. It requires quite a bit of attention. I think the Compass Box offerings fit nicely between the two -- less "signatured" and less "subdued" and more (or in the case of JW Blue -- as) complex.

Compass Box Flaming heart has peat and smoke and richness and oils and is a powerful and beguiling scotch. It's hands and fists above all of the others mentioned in complexity.

Compass Box Oak Cross is more subdued and suitable for both pre-and-post-dinner. It's a more softly rounded and easier drinking scotch than the Flaming Heart, but has both a lightness and an oil richness to it that makes it more versatile.

Elmer T. Lee is perhaps the greatest value in bourbon, IMO. It's a "benchmark" bourbon in terms of overall quality and its representation of the spirit. It's a great bourbon to try if the only "good" bourbon you've had are the (alleged) "small batch" bourbons (i.e. Knob Creek, Bookers, etc.) I prefer E. T. Lee over Woodford, but that's a matter of personal taste (I seem not to like Woodford as much as many others do).

Balvenie Doublewoodis back to scotch. The Double Wood finishing works well with this spirit, which I'd consider a "staple" of a well-rounded scotch collection. I typically have it in mine. It's finished in two different woods, which add to the complexity of the spirit. For its price point (about $35) it's an exceptional value, particularly in times where the dollar is suffering against the Euro. There's some complexity to this which, as a blended scotch drinker you'll appreciate, but also the stiff character of a single malt (meaning where it's pronounced, it's more pronounced then you may find in your referenced blended scotches).

As to specific flavor profiles for different scotches, check out review sites as well as noted critics (such as Michael Jackson -- not the "gloved one" but the lated celebrated whiskey guru) for compelling descriptions.

taktikz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
I cannot speak to "Pinch," but as to the others (CR and JW Black/Blue), they are (in my personal opinion) superior.

For purposes of comparrison I'd have to separate all three -- as they are markedly different whiskeys.

Crown Royal runs hot to my taste. I do not particularly care for it. There's a substantial difference between a *powerful* whiskey and a *hot* whiskey. You must be able to discern richness and flavors through the heat, not just "before" or "after" the heat.

JW Black has a signature taste to it that I enjoy. It's unique in the same manner as the Glenlivet. JW Blue is a bit more subdued and softly complex. It requires quite a bit of attention. I think the Compass Box offerings fit nicely between the two -- less "signatured" and less "subdued" and more (or in the case of JW Blue -- as) complex.

Compass Box Flaming heart has peat and smoke and richness and oils and is a powerful and beguiling scotch. It's hands and fists above all of the others mentioned in complexity.

Compass Box Oak Cross is more subdued and suitable for both pre-and-post-dinner. It's a more softly rounded and easier drinking scotch than the Flaming Heart, but has both a lightness and an oil richness to it that makes it more versatile.

Elmer T. Lee is perhaps the greatest value in bourbon, IMO. It's a "benchmark" bourbon in terms of overall quality and its representation of the spirit. It's a great bourbon to try if the only "good" bourbon you've had are the (alleged) "small batch" bourbons (i.e. Knob Creek, Bookers, etc.) I prefer E. T. Lee over Woodford, but that's a matter of personal taste (I seem not to like Woodford as much as many others do).

Balvenie Doublewoodis back to scotch. The Double Wood finishing works well with this spirit, which I'd consider a "staple" of a well-rounded scotch collection. I typically have it in mine. It's finished in two different woods, which add to the complexity of the spirit. For its price point (about $35) it's an exceptional value, particularly in times where the dollar is suffering against the Euro. There's some complexity to this which, as a blended scotch drinker you'll appreciate, but also the stiff character of a single malt (meaning where it's pronounced, it's more pronounced then you may find in your referenced blended scotches).

As to specific flavor profiles for different scotches, check out review sites as well as noted critics (such as Michael Jackson -- not the "gloved one" but the lated celebrated whiskey guru) for compelling descriptions.

Very nice descriptions. The ones that catch my attention are Compass Box and the Balvenie Doublewood. Will have to try both the Flaming Heart and Oak Cross. Thanks!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want a bottle of Compass Box Hedonism -- a vatted grain whisky.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
I enjoyed Lillet Red on the rocks as an aperitif at a restaurant earlier tonight just before dinner.

taktikz

Reaction score
Purchased The Balvenie Doublewood 12 years this afternoon... Hopefully, it'll be worthwhile....

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Something in a bottle shaped like a human skull.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
what is wrong with Jack Daniels??

Nothing until you try it's older more sophisticated brother Woodford reserve. Do a side by side comparison. You'll see. Jack is good. Woodford much better.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no recommendations for Jack Daniels? i hear alot about Jack Daniels this, Jack Daniels that on the street all the time. of course on the forum, always the obscure, always the non-mainstream... so what is wrong with Jack Daniels??
When neat, I don't find the sourness of the mash at all appealing.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no recommendations for Jack Daniels?

i hear alot about Jack Daniels this, Jack Daniels that on the street all the time.

of course on the forum, always the obscure, always the non-mainstream...

so

what is wrong with Jack Daniels??

Nothing wrong* with it. In the same way that there is nothing wrong with a men's wearhouse suit. It is sufficient for most but not intersting or superlative in any way. Plus it's not even cheap...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads