• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend Me A Jacket/Coat

collegeguy88

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have decided it's about time to grow up and start transforming my wardrobe to look a little more professional. I am a senior and still dressing the fratty way, i.e. fleece jackets in this specific circumstance. I have light white skin, 38-39 chest, 5'11". What do you think would be a good jacket/coat?

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by collegeguy88
Hey everyone. I have decided it's about time to grow up and start transforming my wardrobe to look a little more professional. I am a senior and still dressing the fratty way, i.e. fleece jackets in this specific circumstance. I'm about 5'11" and 38-39 chest, and reddish hair. What do you think would be a good jacket/coat?

what kind of look are you going for? when you say professional, do you mean like coats that are more formal? or maybe a new leather jacket? also let us know how much you're willing to spend so we can either recommend something nice or something you can scrape by with.

collegeguy88

Reaction score
Thanks, those are really good questions. I want something pretty universal for casual wear, from classes to the bar. I would not wear it with suits or to work. I haven't set a budget yet.

phaseshift

Reaction score
blazer/sportcoats always work for casual or dressy attire.

Navy blazer would be most versatile.

collegeguy88

Reaction score
Yeah, good point. I have a few blazers but want something a little more unique, and specifically to replace my fleece jacket for everyday wear which seems like I'm underdressing with at bars and dinners nowadays. Maybe a peacoat? Suede leather jacket? Really not well versed in clothes so trying to gather suggestions.

phaseshift

Reaction score
Yeah, good point. I have a few blazers but want something a little more unique, and specifically to replace fleece jackets etc. Maybe a peacoat? Suede leather jacket? Really not well versed in clothes so trying to gather suggestions.

peacoat always works as well, I found a nice peacoat for sale at express this holiday season. But if it's not that cold, i wouldn't wear a peacoat.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, good point. I have a few blazers but want something a little more unique, and specifically to replace my fleece jacket for everyday wear which seems like I'm underdressing with at bars and dinners nowadays. Maybe a peacoat? Suede leather jacket? Really not well versed in clothes so trying to gather suggestions.

You're not going to get many responses because your question is too vague.
What sort of look are you going for? Other than not-a-fratboy.
Just hang around here and watch the WAYWT threads.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get a peacoat, a chesterfield-style overcoat, a leather bomber, a non-green M65 type jacket, a long parka, a tweed jacket, a harrington, ....

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
****. Every high school age noob seems to have the same general goal when they first arrive here-- they want to look more "grown up" and/or "professional". While I'm not entirely sure what that means, I would guess they wish to partially emulate the clothing worn by people whom work in an office. Presumably this will cause said people to take them more seriously.

If you don't want to be some generic corporate drone your whole life, please don't start down this path and certainly don't attempt to dress "professionally" at the university. If you're mostly concerned with fitting in, then go visit some university campuses and get an idea how other students there dress. I found it was similar to high school, but with perhaps more acceptance to wear whatever you want without being outwardly ridiculed. Thus if you're up for it, this would be an excellent time for you to experiment with clothing and learn which styles suit you best.

I don't recommend thinking in terms of "the one universal jacket" as you suggest. But if I was forced to do this for myself, I would pick a leather jacket that's not aggressively styled. Such a jacket could work for classes, bars, and could even be worn occasionally with more dressy clothing. But I see very few college students wearing these, presumably since the cost is prohibitive to them.

collegeguy88

Reaction score
Jesus dude, what's the cause for the hostility? I really don't know that much about this forum or the people who post here, so I'll only defend myself from that pretentious attack. Firstly, I'm 22. Secondly, I don't really give a **** about conformity, just want to fill up my closet space a little more as I generally wear the same **** and past girlfriends didn't like it.

I have always liked the leather jacket look, what color do you think would work best with my physical characteristics described above? Thanks for the assistance.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you seem chill dude but you gotta post in the ask questions thread.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I agree with the leather jacket recommendations. I'm a freshman at school and if you are going to wear a leather jacket, you have to have the steez to pull it off or you just look like you're trying too hard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads