1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a bagless upright?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by javyn, Aug 5, 2010.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

I am officially fed up with the Oreck. I hate having to look all over the place, and pay out the ass for the bags, even though the vacuum cleaner is great.

Going to give a bagless upright a go, since ya know, this isn't 1970 anymore.

I have no idea where to begin. I was going to opt for a Bissell or Eureka, but it seems they all have their drawbacks.

No, I can't afford a Dyson heh.

Could anyone give me a rec for a reasonably priced bagless with good suction and isn't a pain to clean the filters, if such a beast exists?

2. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

3. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

conne is bagless, and walks upright.

4. javyn

javyn Senior member

conne is bagless, and walks upright.

Please rate the sucking power of the Conne

5. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Please rate the sucking power of the Conne

ask kwilk. he is a regular consumer reports when it comes to rating sf members' sucking power.

6. javyn

javyn Senior member

Is he open to attachments such as inserting hoses?

7. MrG

MrG Senior member

Dyson on ebay?

Another option is to look for sales. We bought a Dyson at Target, and it was on sale for $50 off, plus it came with a $150 gift card. We shop at Target all the time anyway, so it was basically the same as getting $200 off.

8. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Dysons are always on sale somewhere...check slickdeals periodically. We have one, but I'm not really thrilled with it.

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

Man even on sale, my common blooded plebeian ass couldn't afford one. I'm looking to spend no more than 100, but preferably 50-60. Looks like I'm going to have to end up with one of those Bissells.

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

Another option is to look for sales. We bought a Dyson at Target, and it was on sale for $50 off, plus it came with a $150 gift card. We shop at Target all the time anyway, so it was basically the same as getting $200 off.

Thanks for the info, that seems like a really good deal, but alas, I do not give Target my business.

11. NSGRBO

NSGRBO Member

have you tried looking at refurb'd Dysons?

12. dave

dave Senior member

I have a dyson and it's dreadful. the deck is so high it won't fit under the toe kick of my kitchen cabinets so I have to use the hose. it has no light at all so you have to turn on every light in the damn house to clean dark floors. (i have slate in the kitchen and bathrooms) but the most egregious offense is that if you have a deeper pile carpet, the damn beater bar will get wrapped and make an AWFUL noise until you stop and cut it loose. I've never had a vacuum that did that before.

on a wide open bare floor though, damn thing is unstoppable.

13. soxpats

soxpats Senior member

Dyson with track ball is awesome!

14. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

My wife and I have a bagless Bissell that's made for pets and it's been pretty good. Did have to get it repaired recently after three years. Just had the roller replaced.

I was talking to the guy at the vacuum repair shop and he said that all bagless vacuums are pretty much crap. He then showed me all of the bagless vacuums that were in for repair, including a ton of Dysons. According to him, a quality bag vacuum is still the way to go, even though it's more of a pain to empty.

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Bagless sucks. Such a pain in the arse.

16. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I was talking to the guy at the vacuum repair shop and he said that all bagless vacuums are pretty much crap. He then showed me all of the bagless vacuums that were in for repair, including a ton of Dysons. According to him, a quality bag vacuum is still the way to go, even though it's more of a pain to empty.
    I have a Dyson, and I'm not impressed. Emptying the bag is a pain because dust goes everywhere, so I have to empty it outside. The plastic parts seem fragile. The worst part is that the roller gets hung up on carpet too easily, and the sucking power isn't as good as my cannister Sears Kenmore.

17. javyn

javyn Senior member

I got a 50 dollar Bissell last night, seems great so far. It was fascinating watching the canister fill up with dust and cat hair, so I ended up getting drunk and vacuuming half the night and forgot to eat dinner haha.

If it craps out on me in the next few days, I'll return it. If it craps out later on, oh well it was only 50 bucks, and I'll go back to the Oreck and just deal with the hassle of finding bags. I'm happy so far.

18. otc

otc Senior member

Man even on sale, my common blooded plebeian ass couldn't afford one. I'm looking to spend no more than 100, but preferably 50-60. Looks like I'm going to have to end up with one of those Bissells.
    I've thrifted several good vacuums. People, by and large, are idiots so I have had great luck finding ones with broken belts that are otherwise perfect (complete with more attachments than I will ever use). Plug it in, see that the hose has good suction but the thing doesn't spin. Take it home and open it up and go to the hardware store for the $5 2pack of belts and voila! vacuum for a total cost <20 I have never had to do any more repair than replace the belt...but vacuums are supposedly pretty easy to repair.

19. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

We bought a Eureka 8853AVZ bagless upright over a year ago when it was about $35 on NewEgg (unfortunately, shipping cost as much as the vacuum). So far, love it - the amount of cat hair and dust the thing picks up is amazing, and kind of gross at the same time. If your Bissel craps out on you, I'd recommend the Eureka - I think BestBuy sells them for about $130.

20. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

I'm pretty happy with my five year old bissell. The canister is easy to empty and you can wash it out in the sink. There are two filters which should be cleaned every 5th vacuum or so, and it's easy. The foam filters have held up well after 5 years. I replace the hepa (??) filter every year or two.

BTW.... the best way to keep a clean house is replace your furnace air filter more often (use a mid-range to high-end air filter).