• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend Daily Servings of Meat and Poultry?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some food pyramids and other resources give vague guidelines about daily intake of meat and poultry. For example, there's mention of only 4 ounces of meat per day, which doesn't sound adequate for many men who lift weights.

What would you say a good guideline is, for vigor and long-term health? Let's assume the meat and poultry are not organic or very *****, and let's please avoid avoid debates about organic food and the wisdom of eating any meat at all.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Some food pyramids and other resources give vague guidelines about daily intake of meat and poultry. For example, there's mention of only 4 ounces of meat per day, which doesn't sound adequate for many men who lift weights.

What would you say a good guideline is, for vigor and long-term health? Let's assume the meat and poultry are not organic or very *****, and let's please avoid avoid debates about organic food and the wisdom of eating any meat at all.

4-6 ounces of meat on a regular basis is good, while trying to hit 1 gram of protien per pound of weight - 200 grams for a 200 pound man.

there are other sources of protien.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Meat = two servings a day, no less than 16 oz daily total.
Dairy = two servings a day, cheese, chocolate milk, or ice cream only, no less than a total combination of 24 oz.
Tang = the bulk of my diet. No less than 64 oz of delicious fortified orange drink a day.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to eat one of every major animal food group (beef, chicken, pork, fish) each day for a well balanced meat diet.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
I try to eat one of every major animal food group (beef, chicken, pork, fish) each day for a well balanced meat diet.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

If you play your cards right, there are hot-dogs and sausages out there with beef, chicken, and pork in them. Then all you have to do is eat some fish sticks and you're set!

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
If you play your cards right, there are hot-dogs and sausages out there with beef, chicken, and pork in them. Then all you have to do is eat some fish sticks and you're set!
My personal favourite is the turkey-bacon wrapped beef hotdog that uses a pork sausage patty for a "bun". I haven't found a way to incorporate the seafood part though. Perhaps a sprinking of tuna? Joking aside, once when ordering a vermicelli bowl from a vietnamese place, I had beef, pork, chicken strips, and fried shrimp skewers.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My personal favourite is the turkey-bacon wrapped beef hotdog that uses a pork sausage patty for a "bun". I haven't found a way to incorporate the seafood part though. Perhaps a sprinking of tuna?

Joking aside, once when ordering a vermicelli bowl from a vietnamese place, I had beef, pork, chicken strips, and fried shrimp skewers.

I think that Bonito flakes are the answer to your dilemma. That actually sounds quite delicious.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I think that Bonito flakes are the answer to your dilemma. That actually sounds quite delicious.

Bonito Flakes - A versatile food that adds delicious, rich, smoky flavor to a variety of dishes.
Sounds like it could work! The end result would make the bacon-hotdogs look like health food. Now, who of us is actually sick enough to try such a meat monstrosity?
bounce2.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sounds like it could work! The end result would make the bacon-hotdogs look like health food. Now, who of us is actually sick enough to try such a meat monstrosity?
bounce2.gif

I'll do it but I'm too lazy to cook it, you cook it, and mail it to me. I'll eat it when it gets here.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still kind of vague. How about 6 ounces of meat on any day involving weights (or similar exertion)? Is there a specific upper limit for meat?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still kind of vague. How about 6 ounces of meat on any day involving weights (or similar exertion)? Is there a specific upper limit for meat?

MIC, where are you trying to go with this?

"meat" is a little vague - there are huge difference between brisket and turkey breast.

I believe that what is important to quantify is protien, but if you ate all the protien that you should in ***** beef, your would have unwanted side effects. so it is a balance between different types of protien.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meat as distinct from poultry (and better for exercise than the latter, except for eggs, of which one shouldn't eat many). It is specifically for exercise-related advice. (Reports typically feature an Exercise section.) It might be of use in an article about hair loss, as well.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Meat as distinct from poultry (and better for exercise than the latter, except for eggs, of which one shouldn't eat many). It is specifically for exercise-related advice. (Reports typically feature an Exercise section.) It might be of use in an article about hair loss, as well.

actually, while I am not a nutritionist, here is what I understand (based on a number of books, which, if you are interested and pm me, I can get you the exact info on the books):

best protien is tuna or white meat, skinless turkey. the tuna should be canned in brine. these really are the top for excersize

eggs are nowhere near as bad as they were considered when we were younger, espectially omaga 3 enriched eggs.

I do not know of any advantage of beef or meat over turkey for your body when you are excersizing.

typically, for a person who is active and lifting weights, it is usually recomended to have 1 gram per pound of target weight in protien.

savage

Reaction score
My personal favourite is the turkey-bacon wrapped beef hotdog that uses a pork sausage patty for a "bun". I haven't found a way to incorporate the seafood part though. Perhaps a sprinking of tuna? Joking aside, once when ordering a vermicelli bowl from a vietnamese place, I had beef, pork, chicken strips, and fried shrimp skewers.
I'm not sure of the name of it but there's this place that serves: A hotdog, wrapped in a hamburger patty, wrapped in bacon, deep-fried, served with a sunny side egg on top. - I think you can have chilli as a side or on top too. * sprinkle some bonitto flakes and your all good. In NYC at griff dogs, they have the 'morning glory' - hot dog, wrapped in bacon, deep fried, with sunny side up egg. One of the best things i've ever eatin' at 3am! It's kind of like a gremlin - don't eat it before midnight.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
honestly I dont think people necessarily need meat every day. I love a steak but there are many days, perhaps 3 out of 7, where I will only have, breads, grains, curries, pasta, etc. Its no big deal.

In general I think americans are massively overfed and overvitamined, you can cut out quite a bit and not be lacking anything in terms of nutrition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads