• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend Books to Read

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty ignorant right now. What books would you recommend I read? Interests include boxing, military, money, and Robert Greene kind of material. Not interested in novels, but I'm open to anything that has some use in the real world.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The New New Thing

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Interests include boxing, military, money, and Robert Greene kind of material.

The Power of One, Bryce Courtenay.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Dostoyevsky's the Idiot

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty ignorant right now. What books would you recommend I read? Interests include boxing, military, money, and Robert Greene kind of material. Not interested in novels, but I'm open to anything that has some use in the real world.

Novels should not be written off. You can definately glean some equally insightful **** from fiction as from non-fiction. Start with the classics. Kesey - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and/or Sometimes a Great Notion. The latter is more difficult but also better.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a couple of things -

go to the library, look for books by John keegan and Victor Hanson on history. anything they write is worth reading.

now, here is the trick - as you look for those books, see what you find on the shelf that looks interesting. take home 8-10 books. read them. if you don't like them, stop. if you like them, look for more books by the same author or on the same subject.

another idea - read guns of august and wwi by john keegan. then, look for every other book you can find on wwi.

then, read john keegan on wwii. then, read everything else you can find on wwii.

or, pick a different war.

I'd read some fiction, too - but old, classic stuff. thomas mann, for instance.

good luck

v0rtex

Reaction score

Robert Cialdini - Influence

Currently reading The Snowball, which is Warren Buffet's authorized biography.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Danny Wallace's Yes Man is a great, light read. You'll get something out of it too. Funny as hell. Pointed kwilk in it's direction, and now it is his only friend.

doublebucklemonk

Reaction score
Rope Burns: Stories from the Corner - F.X. Toole - Short stories written by a boxing "cut man" including the story "Million Dollar Baby" that they based the movie on. (Boxing)

Confessions of a Street Addict - James Cramer - Autobiography of Wall Street Hedge Fund Manager Jim Cramer (Money)

The Art of War - Sun Tzu - A classic book on strategy (Military) You could also check out any of the books written by (or about) Teddy Roosevelt.

Picking Winners:A Horseplayer's Guide - Andrew Beyer - Fantastic book on horse racing (for use in the real world
smile.gif
)

A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole - My favorite novel (try it you might like it)

And if you want some more ideas check out this list
The Essential Man's Library

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just finished "Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters." A terrific read not just for the WWII campaigns that the 506th PIR conducted, but for Major Winters' views on leadership.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads