• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a Tool Set..

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect that this will attract some debate but I need a bit of help. I know absolutely nothing about tools, short of I never have the socket I need for this or hex I need for that. I'd like to break more of our stuff working on things I have no business working on but I don't have the equipment to do it. Any basic suggestions that will, I suppose, start the tool collection? Assume I have nothing (not far from the truth). I see a deal on a Craftsman set from Sears but I know there are proponents for Snap-On, Mac, etc. and I'm curious as to if I should just proceed with the Sears set or what. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...911f0fp0c0s599

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a craftsman set a few years ago and it's been fine for everything I've used it for (random car stuff, putting together furniture/gym equipment, etc.) Snap On, Mac, and the like will be a hell of a lot more expensive and are likely overkill for what you'll be using it for.

The one thing I hate about my craftsman set is the case, but the one you linked looks better. My recommendations would be to make sure you get a set with the easy to read numbers on the side, and if you're deciding between a couple of sets, go with the larger one. I've had to buy a few extra sockets/extenders since I got my set and with the money I spent it would have been cheaper to buy a larger set in the first place.

Sears always has good deals on this stuff around Father's Day. Good time to buy.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I find Craftsman a little overrated. I buy the Kobalt tools at Lowes. Of course Snap-On is great but very expensive unless you really you use tools a lot.

ms244

Reaction score
Proto or Armstrong make good tools, for not much more then craftsman, They have really gone down hill in quality.

Look on craigslist, lots of people are hawking their tools all the time. Try to get the best you can, there are a lot of deals to be had right now. There is a huge difference between top of the line stuff and run of the mill junk.

Even on something like a screwdriver, believe it or not. However , its better to have crap or nothing at all.

For a basic set, the craftsman looks alright.

I would aim for the following:

Metric and Inch

1/4 , 3/8 and 1/2 socket set with breaker bar and some extensions.

Set of wrenches up to at least 1"

Ball hex drivers

Hammers and cold chisels.

A good drill (I like 18v dewalt) and quality set of drill bits and a good tap and die set.

A caliper, learn to use a vernier one. They are cheap and don't break.

A big tool box which is ORGANIZED. The bigger the better.

Buy tools as you need them past this point and pretty soon you will find yourself eying lathes and mills and other boat anchors.
bigstar[1].gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a good starting tool set and plenty adequate for general DIY stuff. The convenience of the Sears guarantee on their tools is hard to beat. If a tool breaks, bring it in and they give you a replacement.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're a professional the only choice is Snap-On. As a former mechanic the difference in quality is so freaking apparent when you compare Snap-On to other tool companies. Go to Sears, and get a basic tool set, but only buy it when it's on sale.

CHenry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I suspect that this will attract some debate but I need a bit of help. I know absolutely nothing about tools, short of I never have the socket I need for this or hex I need for that. I'd like to break more of our stuff working on things I have no business working on but I don't have the equipment to do it. Any basic suggestions that will, I suppose, start the tool collection? Assume I have nothing (not far from the truth). I see a deal on a Craftsman set from Sears but I know there are proponents for Snap-On, Mac, etc. and I'm curious as to if I should just proceed with the Sears set or what. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...911f0fp0c0s599
Sears or Lowes is a good bet. Sears especially has deals (e.g. 40% off the "old" 7-piece wrench set compared to the "new" 8-piece wrench set, that has all the wrenches the "old" set had and one more.) You need a set of screwdrivers, flats and phillips, a set of metric hex wrenches, an adjustable-end wrench or two (although if you regularly do anything involving wrenching, a set of crescents or combinations, one metric and one SAE are preferred.) You need a hammer, needle-nose pliers, crescent wrench, vise-grip, micro-screwdriver set (handy), a little but powerful flashlight, and a socket wrench set, one with metric and SAE sockets--one with 3/8 in drives with 1/4 in adapter. Snap-on is something to buy if you are a professional mechanic or a tool fetishist. Beautiful stuff but sort of a waste for household tools. You need a drill. As handy as cordless 18v units are (I have a couple) I still think that a corded 3/8 chuck is better as a starter tool. I still use mine far more than any cordless drill I own; it is easier to control, lighter and much more powerful. And I don't have to remember to charge it. You need a set of bits to go with the drill. i suggest one of the titanium sets from Lowes. All bits eventually dull with use. If you have a friend with a grinder or like doing really tedious sharpening on an emery block, you can re-sharpen and shape the tips when dulled. Replacements are a few dollars, otherwise. If you do small-scale work, a Dremel kit is nice to have, but that is getting a little beyond basics. Oh yeah, 3-in-1 oil. Nice to have for everything that needs oiling. ( You really do not need a tap and die set amongst your starter tools--unless you are rehabilitating or re-fitting old machinery and need to chase or re-tap old threads)

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't see the need for an entire tool set. You'll likely end up with 10 or so pieces you will get a good amount of use out of and the rest of the set will collect dust. Buy the pieces you need to work on your project and a few necessities (hammer, drill, screwdrivers, etc.).

KenN

Reaction score
  • Clawhammer
  • Japanese Saw
  • Utility knife (don't cheap out on this)
  • Philips screwdriver (get three of each type for different sizes)
  • Robertson screwdriver (for Canada)
  • Flat head screwdriver (good for prying stuff too)
  • Needle-nose plier
  • Standard plier
  • Channel-lock pipe wrench
  • Socket set (metric and imperial)
  • Tape measure
  • Flashlight
  • Duct tape

This should cover most of what you need. There are some more specialized tools that you may need:

• Cordless drill
  • Set square
  • Stud finder
  • Jeweler screwdrivers

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who does their own housework? That's what illegal immigrants are for.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
If you're a professional the only choice is Snap-On. As a former mechanic the difference in quality is so freaking apparent when you compare Snap-On to other tool companies. Go to Sears, and get a basic tool set, but only buy it when it's on sale.
Mechanics tools: Snap On Electricians tools: Klein Planes: Veritas or Lie Nielsen Plumbing tools: Ridge (not the Home depot stuff) Welding: Smith Drills: Metabo Circ. saws: Skil (only the worm drive models) Recip saws: Milwaukee or Porter Cable Routers : Porter Cable or Bosch Jig saws: Bosch Random orbit Sanders: Festool Detail sanders: Fein ( it hate it but haven't found anything better) That should get you started.
smile.gif

boo

Reaction score
Just a couple comments:

1. I would go for the cordless drill, but I think 18 volts is overkill unless you're planning on doing some serious work. 12 volts or even 9.6 is plenty for around the household chore type of stuff. If you envision yourself one day building a deck or patio, then that's another story. Just make sure you go with a reputable brand like Dewalt and definitely stay away from generic made in China ones sold on eBay.

2. Go for six point socket sets as opposed to 12 point. The latter can tend to slip.

3. For wrenches, go for a set of ratcheting combination wrenches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads