• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a tobacco pipe for me?

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to start smoking a tobacco pipe, any recommendations for pipes and tobacco?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peterson and Savinelli are among the best. After that, depends on your preferences (straight, curved, meerschaum, briar, corn cob, etc.).

As for tobacco, I find aromatics lack flavour despite smelling good. I prefer a strong latakia or other 'natural' tobacco as it reminds me more of smoking cigars, but it boils down to personal preference.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=169039

I'm selling everything you might need to get started. Will sell the pipe for $100 and the pipe plus tobacco/kit for $150 if you're interested.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a big post typed up but I accidentally pressed back
ffffuuuu.gif
1) Start with a corncob. You can read online why. 2) Go to a local tobacconist & ask them for advice on tobacco 3) If you like it after a couple weeks/a month, then delve deeper. That way you won't waste so much money upfront & you can be assured that your investment will have some sort of return.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
never smoked a pipe. never really thought about it anyways. what are the pros and cons over say a cigar? if i did get into it, i want a pipe like gandalf's in LOTR

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pipes smoke hotter, and require more effort. However, the tobacco (since it is shorter, and arguably of lesser quality) is cheaper, and requires much less maintenance (whilst not smoking it). That's my experience thus far.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The pipe holymadness is selling would be a good pipe to start with. Filters don't do anything however. If you smoke the tobaccos he is selling first, it will likely turn you off. Latakia is very strong, campfire-y will likely be the most charitable description you'll have for it. I'd recommend a nice burley blend, but not an aromatic. That's just because I don't like how they taste, but they are OK if you are beginning to smoke a pipe.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Watch Tobacco. It is the best. Period! (Just so you know that is a flavor not a brand.)

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A true igent would use carved ivory

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics