• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a Snow Thrower / Blower

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, recommend me a Snow Thrower or blower for Michigan winters. Do you have one? My parameters:

-Easy to use (this is for my 60 year old parents)
-Has to fit in a fairly small 2 car garage which has 2 cars in it, no bohemyoths
-Preferably under $400, also open to cheap bang-for-buck models, of course.
-Have to be able to order it and ship it, I am not in Michigan.
-I think electrical corded is okay, the driveway is fairly short and directly in front of the garage which has outlets. Correct me if electrical is bad.

Also it doesn't have to be the most durable model, I think 2-3 years usage is good. They will probably move to a townhouse in a few years.

I suppose the worst snowstorms Michigan usually gets is about 12 inches, several times per winter.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a small single stage that is light.
Make sure the height of the front is over 10 inches, or they will be limited in the performance in a heavy snow.
Remember to dedicate a mixed gas jug so it is convenient to fill.
Oh, and an electric start will really help.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So would you avoid electric models? Gas is better?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In your price range the throwers you find will be
1) built for less than 10" of snow
2) not self propelled, thus challenging in heavy snow
3) recoil start.

I mention the last two given your parent age. Are those items important? If not- aim for the Toro's around the $400 range available from Home Depot, Lowes or whatever is in their area.

If you can part with $600. Toro Ariens and a few others make self-propelled models (with forward and reverse).

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm in a similar predicament for New York winters. My price range is a bit higher, about 1000 at most. Is it still a Toro or Ariens? Can anyone suggest a good model? Thank you!

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
can anyone share their insight
smile.gif
?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an Arien.

Best suggestion is to hire somebody to plow for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads