Recommend a scotch in the 80-100 range.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by GQgeek, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Gutman

Gutman Senior member

Really? i find myself coming back to it more and more often. it has a lot of colour, and is quite smokey admittedly. you are first person i've heard say they don't like it

2. Korben

Korben Senior member

Smokey Cask Strength - Ardbeg Uigeadail
    Sherry Cask Strength - Glenfarclas 105
    Highland - Dalmore 15
    Lowland - Rosebank 15 bottled by Gordon McPhail
    Speyside - Balvenie 17 yo Sherry Oak
    Island - Highland Park 18
    Islay - Lagavulin Distillers Edition
    Campbeltown - Springbank 15
    Japanese - Yamazaki 18

These are American prices by the way.

+1

Nicely done

3. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

I think there's waaaaaaaay too many Islay suggestions, considering this is a gift.

Lagavullin, Ardbeg (Blasda aside) and especially Laphroaig are all fantastic whiskies but are very risky gifts unless you are sure on their tastes.

There's a good chance with Laphroaig that someone who's never tasted a peaty whisky could try it and say they cant drink it. I've seen that quite a few times. Laphroaig is a love/hate whisky

Stick with something more broad.

4. big_kev

big_kev Member

15 year glenfiddich is a nice single malt scotch

and what about irish whiskey? 'Bushmills blackbush' takes some beating. I cant believe nobodys mentioned either of these two first class whiskeys

5. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Lagavulin!!! Just go to the SAQ near Peel.

+1

6. CrocsRock

CrocsRock Senior member

AnCnoc has a very interesting 12-year.
    Hard to go wrong with some of the Balvenies.
    Yamazakis (it's actually a Japanese single malt) can be pretty interesting.

7. tps16

tps16 Senior member

I think there's waaaaaaaay too many Islay suggestions, considering this is a gift.

Lagavullin, Ardbeg (Blasda aside) and especially Laphroaig are all fantastic whiskies but are very risky gifts unless you are sure on their tastes.

There's a good chance with Laphroaig that someone who's never tasted a peaty whisky could try it and say they cant drink it. I've seen that quite a few times. Laphroaig is a love/hate whisky

Stick with something more broad.

+1
    Unless you know he likes island malts, you'd be better off sticking with something like Macallan or Glenfarclas. Highland Park is great too.

8. username79

username79 Senior member

+1
    Unless you know he likes island malts, you'd be better off sticking with something like Macallan or Glenfarclas. Highland Park is great too.

Good advice. I can't stand Lagavulin but go through at least one bottle of Macallan 12 a week.

9. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

Johnny Walker Green Label- not a joke. It is fantastic. I have been single malt drinker for over 10 years and I enjoy JW Green much more than 90% of single malts.

10. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Johnny Walker Green Label- not a joke. It is fantastic. I have been single malt drinker for over 10 years and I enjoy JW Green much more than 90% of single malts.

Honestly, Green Label is one of the worst I have ever tasted - and I wanted to like it.

11. ama

ama Senior member

Honestly, Green Label is one of the worst I have ever tasted - and I wanted to like it.
    That might be a little harsh, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a special gift...

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

My wife just gave me a bottle of 30-year-old Laphroaig. I have still have 1/3 bottle of this from a bottle I bought last year (not that much a fan) so I figure the $500 should translate into a few nice whiskies I've never tried. Here's the link to what they have: http://www.parkaveliquor.com/shop/sc...isky/109/islay Lagavulin is my go to drink, so a bottle of the Distiller's Edition is a must. Any thoughts? lefty

13. ama

ama Senior member

My wife just gave me a bottle of 30-year-old Laphroaig. I have still have 1/3 bottle of this from a bottle I bought last year (not that much a fan) so I figure the $500 should translate into a few nice whiskies I've never tried. Here's the link to what they have: http://www.parkaveliquor.com/shop/sc...isky/109/islay

Lagavulin is my go to drink, so a bottle of the Distiller's Edition is a must.

Any thoughts?

lefty

Are you sure it it worth $500 or that is what she paid for it? I got a couple bottles last year for $200 each...

In any event, you can get a lot for $500. Here is what I suggest from the Park Ave. Islay list, I assume that is where you want the suggestion to come off of:

Laphroaig Cask Strength $76
    Ardeg Uigeadail $85
    Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist $96
    Port Charlotte PC7 Sin An Doigh Ileach $150
    Port Ellen (Editor's Choice) Park Avenue Exclusive $215
    Bruichladdich Golder Still $300
    Port Ellen 9th Annual Release $400
    Bruichladdich Octomore/2 (If this is the Orpheus version aged in the Petrus barrels, if its just the regular second edition, pass.) $196

14. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Glenfiddich 19 year old is about $80.

15. ama

ama Senior member

Glenfiddich 19 year old is about $80.

No such thing.