1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Recommend a scotch in the 80-100 range.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by GQgeek, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Gutman

Gutman Senior Member

Really? i find myself coming back to it more and more often. it has a lot of colour, and is quite smokey admittedly. you are first person i've heard say they don't like it

2. Korben

Korben Senior Member

Smokey Cask Strength - Ardbeg Uigeadail
    Sherry Cask Strength - Glenfarclas 105
    Highland - Dalmore 15
    Lowland - Rosebank 15 bottled by Gordon McPhail
    Speyside - Balvenie 17 yo Sherry Oak
    Island - Highland Park 18
    Islay - Lagavulin Distillers Edition
    Campbeltown - Springbank 15
    Japanese - Yamazaki 18

These are American prices by the way.

+1

Nicely done

3. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior Member

I think there's waaaaaaaay too many Islay suggestions, considering this is a gift.

Lagavullin, Ardbeg (Blasda aside) and especially Laphroaig are all fantastic whiskies but are very risky gifts unless you are sure on their tastes.

There's a good chance with Laphroaig that someone who's never tasted a peaty whisky could try it and say they cant drink it. I've seen that quite a few times. Laphroaig is a love/hate whisky

Stick with something more broad.

4. big_kev

big_kev Member

15 year glenfiddich is a nice single malt scotch

and what about irish whiskey? 'Bushmills blackbush' takes some beating. I cant believe nobodys mentioned either of these two first class whiskeys

5. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

Lagavulin!!! Just go to the SAQ near Peel.

+1

6. CrocsRock

CrocsRock Senior Member

AnCnoc has a very interesting 12-year.
    Hard to go wrong with some of the Balvenies.
    Yamazakis (it's actually a Japanese single malt) can be pretty interesting.

7. tps16

tps16 Senior Member

I think there's waaaaaaaay too many Islay suggestions, considering this is a gift.

Lagavullin, Ardbeg (Blasda aside) and especially Laphroaig are all fantastic whiskies but are very risky gifts unless you are sure on their tastes.

There's a good chance with Laphroaig that someone who's never tasted a peaty whisky could try it and say they cant drink it. I've seen that quite a few times. Laphroaig is a love/hate whisky

Stick with something more broad.

+1
    Unless you know he likes island malts, you'd be better off sticking with something like Macallan or Glenfarclas. Highland Park is great too.

8. username79

username79 Distinguished Member

+1
    Unless you know he likes island malts, you'd be better off sticking with something like Macallan or Glenfarclas. Highland Park is great too.

Good advice. I can't stand Lagavulin but go through at least one bottle of Macallan 12 a week.

9. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Distinguished Member

Johnny Walker Green Label- not a joke. It is fantastic. I have been single malt drinker for over 10 years and I enjoy JW Green much more than 90% of single malts.

10. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

Johnny Walker Green Label- not a joke. It is fantastic. I have been single malt drinker for over 10 years and I enjoy JW Green much more than 90% of single malts.

Honestly, Green Label is one of the worst I have ever tasted - and I wanted to like it.

11. ama

ama Distinguished Member

Honestly, Green Label is one of the worst I have ever tasted - and I wanted to like it.
    That might be a little harsh, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a special gift...

12. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

My wife just gave me a bottle of 30-year-old Laphroaig. I have still have 1/3 bottle of this from a bottle I bought last year (not that much a fan) so I figure the $500 should translate into a few nice whiskies I've never tried. Here's the link to what they have: http://www.parkaveliquor.com/shop/sc...isky/109/islay Lagavulin is my go to drink, so a bottle of the Distiller's Edition is a must. Any thoughts? lefty

13. ama

ama Distinguished Member

My wife just gave me a bottle of 30-year-old Laphroaig. I have still have 1/3 bottle of this from a bottle I bought last year (not that much a fan) so I figure the $500 should translate into a few nice whiskies I've never tried. Here's the link to what they have: http://www.parkaveliquor.com/shop/sc...isky/109/islay

Lagavulin is my go to drink, so a bottle of the Distiller's Edition is a must.

Any thoughts?

lefty

Are you sure it it worth $500 or that is what she paid for it? I got a couple bottles last year for $200 each...

In any event, you can get a lot for $500. Here is what I suggest from the Park Ave. Islay list, I assume that is where you want the suggestion to come off of:

Laphroaig Cask Strength $76
    Ardeg Uigeadail $85
    Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist $96
    Port Charlotte PC7 Sin An Doigh Ileach $150
    Port Ellen (Editor's Choice) Park Avenue Exclusive $215
    Bruichladdich Golder Still $300
    Port Ellen 9th Annual Release $400
    Bruichladdich Octomore/2 (If this is the Orpheus version aged in the Petrus barrels, if its just the regular second edition, pass.) $196

14. westinghouse

westinghouse Distinguished Member

Glenfiddich 19 year old is about $80.

15. ama

ama Distinguished Member

Glenfiddich 19 year old is about $80.

No such thing.