• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a really good beard trimmer for me

jimbo123

Reaction score
Please.

For now let's say price is no object, I just want to get an understanding of the market.

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
What, you're the type of guy who needs the Lamborghini of beard trimmers? I really don't think you're going to find a huge range out there.

scugger

Reaction score
I have one of those semi-cheap Philips ones with the vacuum that is supposed suck the cut hairs into a little compartment that you empty-out. The thing cuts decent, but the vacuum sucker doesn't work at all.

Cavalier

Reaction score
I don't like my Wahl, have been told by everyone to purchase Andis next time.

badchad

Reaction score
I have a Wahl and no complaints. http://trimmers.wahl.com/goatee_view.cfm?ID=1 The great thing about mine is that it has very few pieces. The head spins and has a narrow, and "regular" (wider) settings. There is also a single, adjustable gaurd that has something like 8 settings so you aren't constantly looking for a guard. A single charge seems to last quite a long time. After a few years of neglect, the blades are a bit rusted, but this hasn't affected performance at all. I'd definitely buy another.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a beard/stubble trimmer myself. I've never used one but my brother has, and he says that the hairs lie flat and that the comb/guard doesn't raise them and the clutting head misses them. This is a problem that I foresaw before he even told me that. I can imagine that it would be difficult for these trimmers to catch hairs which aren't beyond a certain, fairly long, length.

My brother's trimmer was a pretty cheap one, but looking at the range available they all seem to have the same basic design.

Can anyone give me any advice?

jacquelep

Reaction score
To trim your facial hair without having to replace a trimmer every 3 months, you need to get a high quality one. Most low priced beard trimmers run into battery problems as you may know. My recommendation would be the Philips Norelco QT4050 or 4070. It isnt even that expensive, you can find them for $30 and $50 respectively in many places.

Avery623

Reaction score
I bought an Andis T-Outliner on Ebay and it was money well spent...about $60 give or take. It is what barbers use for fine trimming and edging. I highly recommend it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads